Router problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorebens

Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought a frued ft300vce and a router table from ebay.
If I run the router without the collet extension and without a bit it works fine at all speeds, however as soon as I insert the extension and a bit and run it at more than 10,000 rpm it starts to smoke, does anyone know why this is?
Regards
Ben

Hmmm the brushes, if you would be so kind and tell me how and what to look for, then I will do it right away.

Hi, Ben

I think the bearings might be the problem, they will have a lot more loading on them using the extention.
Does it turn freely by hand? with no roughness.

Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the reply.
No it doesnt turn freely, are bearing easy to replace?
The smell it makes is realy nasty and it lingers in the workshop for ages!
Regards
Ben

Hi,

I don't know how easy it it to strip your router and if you have replaced bearings before, so I can’t say if you will be able to do it yourself.

The insulation in the router might have been damaged by the overheating so even if you replace the bearings it might not last.
But bearings are usually very cheap so if you do replace them and it doesn't last very long you won't have lost much.

If you can find a parts list with an exploded diagram it will show you how it goes together, get the bearings from a local bearing supplier for the best price.
The bearings will have a number on them which will tell the supplier what they are.

Pete

If it is a FT 3000 VCE, then manuals and exploding diagrams are here
http://www.freudtools.com/p-261-ft3000v ... outer.aspx

No idea on how easily it comes apart but bearing need to fitted with great care and NOT hammered into place.
Steady direct pressure applied to either the inner or the outer according which part of the bearing you are fitting.
Never apply effort via the balls. ie dont fit the inner by pressing on the outer and vice versa.

Bob

Thank you for all the advice, I will try to change the bearings although I have to admit it sounds a little daunting, especialy when I look at the diagrams. Is this a job for a amatuer or should I send it of somewhere?

If you bought it recently and if it's been like that ever since you got it, surely you've got a case for sending it back for a refund or at least asking the Vendor to pay for any repairs needed?

Back