Router problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have been reading the posts on this forum for a while now, gaining valuable advice as I am quite new to all this, but this is my first post.

Today I have been designing and building a prototype wooden planter, but while I was using my router to route some grooves for the side panels, my router started to play up. It would be running at full speed one moment and then just start to slow down of its own accord. It would then speed up again before slowing down as if the power was turning on and off. This was happening without any load on it. Once it had stopped, I could sort of kick start it by flicking the cutter with the end of an off cut but it would soon die again. I have checked the brushes but as it is quite a new router these appear fine although very hot. Has anyone else experienced something similar and is there a simple fix or should I return it as it is still under warranty. Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.
The router is a Triton MOF001 bought online in February this year. A simple fix would be preferable to returning it.

Paul

Bob 9Fingers is your man, but I would say that the windings were gone. It's not good news, I'm afraid.
S
PS Welcome, and all that.

Thanks for the quick replies, I will be in contact with the company I bought it from on Tuesday to see about a replacement.

Is it likely to be something that I have done or just a manufacturing fault? My other ones, a cheapie JCB and a small Bosch are both about 10 years old and no problems at all. I wanted to get a good one to be permanently table mounted so splashed out on a Triton having read numerous reviews. Not a happy bunny at the moment :cry:

Paul

My earlier reply was after a quick read on my phone - hence the brief reply.
Back on the laptop now......
As it is nearly new, it is not likely to be worn brushes but if it has been kept in a damp location damp plus dust could be making the brushes stick. It could also be a loose connection.
This in combination with the sort start controller would give the speed up and down effect.

Unless you have been really working it hard, I'd be surprised if the armature has failed but it might have thrown a segment of the commutator.

However at 2 months old, I would recommend a warranty claim just in case there is an underlying fault/batch issue.

Good luck

Bob

just a quick update, took it back to the company I bought it from who sent it back to Triton. 2 days later there is a brand new one waiting for collection. I had only given back the bare router, but I got back the full kit. Happy bunny now :lol:
Thanks
Paul

I have a triton router (8 years) and occasionally this happens to me, the usual cause for me is dust in the switch.

I had an Elu and a Hitachi that developed this fault, they were over a year old though. It was the speed control module in both cases. HTH.

Newbie_Neil":hszw70j1 said:
Hi Alan,

mailee":hszw70j1 said:
It was the speed control module in both cases.

Will that have been through lack of use, as you only know one speed? :wink: :lol:

Thanks,
Neil

The speed control module is used every time a router is switched on and off as it also provides the soft start function.

Bob

Back