Router problem.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
My trusty old Makita 3600B finally missed a beat today. Was in the router table with just a small rounding over bit in it, when it started to sound a bit ropey, which got worse and worse, so i turned it off and it was very hot and smelled of burning. Checked the brushes and they looked fine , so something internal. Noticed that the spindle was very stiff when i went to remove the router bit. Does anyone know much about this sort of thing and whether they think there's a chance it can be rescued? I'm in the middle of an order and can't be without a router for too long, so in a quandary whether to just buy one and put the Makita in the box of stuff that needs attention, but i never seem to get around to looking at. A comparable one would be a fair chunk of change, so.......

Almost certainly bearing failure. Not usually too difficult to change if you are mechanically aware. 99.9% certain to use standard bearings which will be far cheaper than buying it as a Makita spare part.

These sort of failures can be quite common when used upside down in a table with less than perfect dust extraction. I've done two trend Routers thrown out by others stacked full of compressed dust.

Myfordman":3mkthcaj said:
Almost certainly bearing failure. Not usually too difficult to change if you are mechanically aware. 99.9% certain to use standard bearings which will be far cheaper than buying it as a Makita spare part.

These sort of failures can be quite common when used upside down in a table with less than perfect dust extraction. I've done two trend Routers thrown out by others stacked full of compressed dust.

Thanks.

That was my feeling. I'm not the best with mechanics, but i stripped and put new bearings in a bench drill i bought second hand, so i will have a butchers under the bonnet tomorrow.

Just taken it to bits and the bottom bearing is fine. The top bearing however has disintegrated and part of it is still stick in the top inside of the router and i can't figure out how to remove it. All the inner gubbins and ball bearings fell out but the outer ring is stuck solid inside the casing at the top. It's an open type bearing with an insulation washer which is also damaged. So i figure if i can replace the washer and bearing, then it's good to go. But how to get the remainder of the bearing out is eluding me. Any ideas anyone?

Edit: The bearing is listed as a 6200 V. Can't find the exact one listed as V, so any suggestions as to which is the correct equivalent?

It will be tricky to remove unless you can get something to wedge into the ball grove and pull it out with a puller or slide hammer.

A 6200 2rs would be the one I would use 2rs = two rubber seals, I would recommend changing the bottom one while you have it apart just for peace of mind.

Pete

the cage has collapsed letting the balls out. do you still have the balls?
rebuild it in place (not an easy task but put the centre race off to one side and drop all the balls in then push them round) with the inner race and spread the balls equally, then stick a match stick or similar between each to hold them in place, removal is then the same as ever, a big hammer and a drift. :)

otherwise you'll need a small expanding collet bearing puller and slide hammer.

Right, managed to get it out with some drastic action. Drilled 2 small holes through the plastic casing at the top corresponding with the edges of the bearing and twatted it out with a fine nail punch. There was still some serrated metal which i think the bearings sit in and it was melted to the top of the plastic casing. Managed to get that out with some long nose pliers and a screwdriver.

As for the bearing itself, a search brings up open deep groove ball bearings and i imagine the insulating washer is designed to cover the open side and the top of the casing covers the other side. Can't find one with V designation though. Is this so grease can be applied and could i just use the RS variant as Pete suggests. The washer is fairly mashed up too but if i put sealed bearings in it probably wouldn't matter too much......i think.... maybe.

The washer could be a seal you can get ones with only one rubber seal you can get by with only sealing the outside face of the bearing, they are usually slightly cheaper so manufacturers do tend to use them.

Pete

it should only have a seal on one side, that's fairly common. measure the outer race, measure the inner race, measure the width, go here
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Beari ... index.html

put in the dimensions, buy the bearing.

6200 V
6 means roller ball
2 means dimension series ISO 02
00 is 10mm bore
V is the seal Single sealed with removable rubber non-contact type seal

you can stilck a VV in there which is double sided seal.

EDIT : oh and it's a NSK in there at the moment, good bearing.
hope that helps.

Brilliant info novocaine and much appreciated. Just need to track down a new insulation washer now as the old one is a bit worn and is integral from what i can see. Rung a couple of places and no luck as it's an old machine.

Thank for the help chaps.

Top cap of an aerosol is good material for plastic washers.

Pete

From what i can tell, it may have been a stepped washer that has parted, it's hard to tell. I've tried to clean it up and noticed it has a metal washer inside it, which may supposed to be there but may have just fused to it, hard to tell. It's not a washer in the normal sense of one; it is quite chunky and more of a plastic part than a washer, although the parts list refers to it as an insulation washer.

Just in case anyone was remotely interested in the outcome of my router problems, i had trouble tracking down the parts for my old 3600b and could only find parts for the 3612 readily available. I think they may have fitted but couldn't find out definitively, so i had a look on t'bay with a view to buying an old router to harvest for parts and came across a guy selling the complete armature for my router, which looks like new and had the bearings and washer attached. By another stroke of luck, it was 110 volt, the same as mine and all for £13.50 + £3.00 delivery. Fitted it today and the old beast sparked back into life. Still sounds like a bag of nails but it always did and should be good to take it into it's 5th decade. They don't make 'em like that anymore. The internet is a wonderful resource.

Back