Router/Power tool Guide Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kafkaian

Established Member
Reaction score
If people are unsure what I'm referring to see the Trend version below:

I need to get one of theses as a home made version slips a little, but what's everyone else using for remote jobs away from a router table?

clampguidemain.jpg

I have the Dakota version of these from Rutlands and find them fine. I also have a cheaper version from Axminster and this is good too although the clamping system works from side to side. :wink:

I seem to have inadvertantly turned into a c*ll*ct*r of these - got the Rutlands Dakota, the Axminster Perform and an original Tru-Grip (now Trend I believe). Without a doubt the Tru-Grip is the best and simply doesn't slip - Best on Test :wink: ; the Dakota I've found to be very prone to slipping and I avoid using them when at all possible; the Perform does indeed have a sideways action which is weird and can knock you out of position if you don't pay attention, but it holds like a champ and would get the Best Value vote. fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

I use the Trend ones, which I find excellent. I use them with the Trend square (actually oblong) sub-base fitted to my DW 625 http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/guidebushes/#square_sub This provides a very stable set-up and ensures that the router is well in contact with the guide before the cutter starts cutting. It's also good not to have the metal of the router base rubbing against the metal of the guide. Alternatively it's easy to make an MDF square sub-base if you don't want to go to the expense of buying the Trend one.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I've got the Trend versions too and find they perform admirably on the rare occasions that I do 'proper' woodwork.

Gill

I've got a 50" True-Grip and a 600mm Trend, they are not quite the same, the true-grip is the better of the two and is hard to budge.

Jason

50" progrip (axminster), 36" dakota (rutlands) same OEM. Been using them for 6 months for C/Saw and Router guides without any problems.

Jeff.

Well, I needed one PDQ and the local supplier was out of Trend so went for the Rolson.

Not bad all things considered, but I wonder how long the clamp mechanism's going to last?

Certainly a lot cheaper than the Trend at half the price

Back