router plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Doing small stuff and need to make a router table (taking the wood to the tool instead of other way around).
I've got a big horrible 2100w Erbauer and a little 600w Bosch and I thought I'd use the Erbauer.
Do I need a router plate - there seem to be hundreds of them for sale, or will I be OK just plugging on, brain-off, with plywood etc?
Are they essential and if so which one?

PS just perusing this ERBAUER ER2100 2100W
Interesting idea could mount both routers in same table top

Last edited:
You don't.
You could just drill a hole in a flat piece of MDF and then bolt your plunge router to it.

Then use 2 F-Clamps to hold down a 4x4" piece of timer for the fence, and then think about using bearing guided bits.

Keep it simple and once you start using a router table you will soon work out what you really need.
Start simple and build up.

Above all, use good bits and think safety.

Come on in - the water's lovely :)

You don't.
You could just drill a hole in a flat piece of MDF and then bolt your plunge router to it.

Then use 2 F-Clamps to hold down a 4x4" piece of timer for the fence, and then think about using bearing guided bits.

Keep it simple and once you start using a router table you will soon work out what you really need.
Start simple and build up.

Above all, use good bits and think safety.

Come on in - the water's lovely :)
OK that's reassuring, that was plan A anyway!

A plate is useful in that the router mounts to the plate, and you can lift the plate out of the table for access (should you need). That said, I've got a router on a (DIY) plate in a router table and I don't think I've ever removed the plate with the router attached.

One good reason for a plate is that you don't want the whole router table surface to be thin, but mounting the router on the underside of a thick table will obviously lose a significant amount of travel - hence having a relatively small (thin) plate in a large thick table goes have some benefits.

A final positive is the addition of replaceable rings. If you plan on using various sized bits then being able to snap in an appropriate sized ring is useful (large enough hole for the cutter, but providing maximum support for items on the table). Again that can by DIY'd though.

The other thing to consider is depth of cut and you will most likely need a collet extension.

Come on Jacob with your experience do you really need to be told how to do something so basic?
I've always avoided the router as far as possible (the noise, the dust :rolleyes: ) and hardly ever use them, though I have done loads of spindle moulding.
What set me off this time is I'm making small boxes and other stuff from reclaimed timber mostly softwood.
Some of it, dovetails cut beautifully with a chisel. Other stuff impossible - you can get a clean knife line but the material is so soft that it just squashes and breaks out when I try to chisel it. Planing end grain is no problem - you can slice it but not chop it.
So router seems to be the answer and I already have them. Just wondering about splashing out on the plate too.
I'll see how it goes!

Last edited:
So router seems to be the answer and I already have them. Just wondering about splashing out on the plate too.
A plate can be made from 12mm MDF. Drill out a hole large enough for the maximum diameter bit you're likely to use, then use a rebate cutter on the router to make a 6mm deep rebate around said hole. Knock up a set of rings in 6mm MDF (with varying internal diameter holes) and you also have your replaceable inserts. Thin magnets can be used to hold them down, but I've never done that, and never seemed to have any problems with it.

I did that years ago because I was too cheap to buy an aluminium plate. It's worked well enough that I've never bothered changing it.

For inspiration here is my simple homemade router table, no plate just a hole drilled through the MDF top, doesn't get used much but handy when needed.

You could knock one up in 5 minutes Jacob (y)

router 2.jpg

router 1.jpg

For inspiration here is my simple homemade router table, no plate just a hole drilled through the MDF top, doesn't get used much but handy when needed.

You could knock one up in 5 minutes Jacob (y)

View attachment 113867

View attachment 113868
Neat.
Doing similar with fixing - hanging it off the bars of the sliding fence. Doing it flush with the sole plate with two pieces, to not lose cutter height. then fill in the gaps. Quite easy except I've deliberately made them proud of the surface so that I can plane them down level, next stage. I didn't think I would be accurate enough to machine them spot on first go.
Sitting on a B&D workmate.

IMG_4132.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG
IMG_4134.JPG

well I'm shocked ............................ Jacob doesn't know it all, truely dissappointed.

Assuming you have basic woodworking skills, there are plenty of ideas for home made router tables on YouTube. Not difficult to make and I'm sure other forum members will be happy to advise, should you need any advice or get overwhelmed with the construction.

Back