Router plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They deleted a post of mine not agreeing with some claims regarding being wrong calling a chipbreaker a chipbreaker. Their blog seems to only tolerate non-opposing points of view.

It's just an ad blog. Not in the sense that it's selling tools, but just that its there to sell websites subscriptions and class enrollments, so it'll be curated to make it look like Paul is an authority and few disagree with him.

This is pure theft of trade dress. While the design may be legally open to copy as the copyrite period is likely past, this company appear to have no shame in stealing the trade dress of LN as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek
The two planes look identical. Im surprised the retailer (Rockler?)decided to stock it. I’m all for saving money but supporting this type of behaviour, no chance.

This is indeed possible with these blades. There are a couple of photos demonstrating this in the link I provided above. These show hollow grinding on the Tormek (I now use a bench grinder - it would work the same way) and then freehanding on a waterstone. The blade holder would fit a honing guide, such as the Veritas.

Edit to add: Detaching the shaft is only on the larger sizes, not the smaller ones. I developed the grinding/sharpening method specifically for the fixed shafts.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Ah! Missed the link. Just spotted now. Thanks for sharing. Great review of the plane on your website. Very balanced. The depth adjuster collar, did you make this yourself? I’m surprised Veritas haven’t changed their design to the collar you have.

It's just an ad blog. Not in the sense that it's selling tools, but just that its there to sell websites subscriptions and class enrollments, so it'll be curated to make it look like Paul is an authority and few disagree with him.
I find a lot of the comments in his blog quite sycophantic.

I have the Veritas router plane, and have been pleased with it. I tried to buy a used router plane and watched Ebay for over a year with their ridiculous prices... then ordered a new Veritas and optional fence new for less than average used on Ebay.

Quite happy with Record or Veritas router planes.
I do wonder if @Droogs design still needs a larger base to cater for greater offset?
Record and Veritas do IMHO, for most jobs other than slim trenches.

I find a lot of the comments in his blog quite sycophantic.

that makes a lot of sense if you're curating the comments to lead people to your online and in-person classes.

I don't think paul's target is getting people in and making them self sufficient woodworkers. It's the person who imagines they want to make things and will be there on and off for years paying to imagine that it's coming.

When you start making things and wanting to use the tools and understand how they work, you would become a nuisance in those classes because beginners won't grasp what you're talking about and some of the class will be lost.

I have a feeling 200 years ago, there was in immediate need for apprentices to become useful and all basic function and basic design was understood quickly.

(never paid enough attention to his blog to see what they leave and don't leave - if someone isn't making something nice, I can't really get much from what they're talking about).

both are good, I like my vertias router plane though and use it a lot, it makes a great marking gauge as well.

Saw this review. The Benchdog plane does look good. But I do see his point about one company spending money on r&d and then another company plagiarizing the product.
Thats a copy of the LN one. Only thing different really is the LN controls for depth are steel not brass, and LS has Lie Nielsen No 71 cast into it.

That said, I dont think you can really plagiarize a router plane, the shape and function have been about for a long time and the LN is near identical to the record power RP, which is near identical to the Stanley model. So who is plagiarizing who 🤨

The only thing that both LN and LV have in common with Stanley and Record is the concept, which is far older than all. Their executions differ from each other and from Stanley/Record.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I’ve gone with the Veritas plane. It arrives tomorrow. Can’t wait. Thanks all for your help 👍

Does anyone know what Veritas’ tolerance is for sole flatness. I’ve received the plane. Looks wise and feel wise, it’s incredible. However, checking the sole for flatness, I can comfortably get a 0.05mm feeler gauge under the front right over a wide area. Is this a problem?I suspect, the gap is around 0.07mm I’m surprised that this is the case. I , rightly or wrongly, assumed veritas worked to the same tolerance as lie Nielsen. Clearly, this is not the case.

If anyone's in the same situation, give the walke moore router consideration, it's a Preston copy and a little pricier. They're making small batches and selling them now and again

If anyone's in the same situation, give the walke moore router consideration, it's a Preston copy and a little pricier. They're making small batches and selling them now and again
Why try this brand? Are they better than veritas ? If so, in what way? Genuinely interested. 👍

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Veritas’ tolerance is for sole flatness. I’ve received the plane. Looks wise and feel wise, it’s incredible. However, checking the sole for flatness, I can comfortably get a 0.05mm feeler gauge under the front right over a wide area. Is this a problem?I suspect, the gap is around 0.07mm I’m surprised that this is the case. I , rightly or wrongly, assumed veritas worked to the same tolerance as lie Nielsen. Clearly, this is not the case.

Send a note to Veritas customer service (Lee Valley if you bought through them) and ask if what you have is in tolerance. They will likely arrange for a replacement if it isn't. I don't think it will make much difference but I don't use them a lot.

Pete

Sent an email. Will see what comes back. They’re certainly not transparent on their tolerance levels , which leads me to assume they’re not as tight as other manufacturers.
Send a note to Veritas customer service (Lee Valley if you bought through them) and ask if what you have is in tolerance. They will likely arrange for a replacement if it isn't. I don't think it will make much difference but I don't use them a lot.

Pete

Customer service aside I dont think that will make any difference on a router plane. I never even thought of checking the sole of the old stanley router plane I have.
Regards
John

Customer service aside I dont think that will make any difference on a router plane. I never even thought of checking the sole of the old stanley router plane I have.
Regards
John
Cheers. I tend to approach things by first asking whether something is fit for purpose. This being, I’m surprised cheaper branded planes are able to be produced to tighter tolerances. Certainly, given my initial experience, I think Veritas are overpriced. I wouldn’t buy another Veritas plane unless it was one that only they produced.

Your talking about 50 microns or 2 thou in old money. I doubt that either LN or LV have their castings stress relieved for this plane, so after machining they can move as that tolerance for the application perfectly acceptable. Most router planes get a large wooden base screwed into them which I’m sure will have been planned down to less than 50 microns flatness, equally the surface it’s being used on to register to it will definitely be less than 50 microns flatness especially if it’s been standing a few hours / over night. Ok that’s all tongue in cheek, to try to highlight that it’s only usually in metalwork we’re 50 microns can become an issue.

As an aside, I found that the LN castings on some planes I’ve worked with have been as soft as soap. Had to have one of my own planes replaced because of it.

I don’t have the same opinion as Derek, I believe that if there had been a design right filed on the shape of these planes, both LV and LN would be in breach……there both in my opinion just tweaked copies of the Stanley / Record, so its a free for all, open season for anyone to manufacture of the same style. The one thing I’ve found with both LN and LV is their customer back up has been outstanding and their stuff holds it’s value.

Last edited:
Back