Router mat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a difference in quality between the non slip mats you find in a hardware store (usually for carpets) and those sold by places like Trend or Axminster (more expensive).

71RgcXnUMeL._SL1000_.jpg

I have tried the ones from Wilko as a sanding pad to stop stuff sliding around, but I find they don't work well, and things slide around still. My work surface is unfinished MDF, so maybe that has something to do with it?

As an aside, I noticed this product on youtube, and it seems ideal. So much better than what we have availiable to us. I like the fact that it is heavy, and has some depth to it, which I would suspect grips better as things sink in somewhat.

https://www.kencraftcompany.com/product ... outer-pad/

You can find reconstituted foam on ebay (9lb per metre cubed). So I might take a gamble on that.

Attachments

• 71RgcXnUMeL._SL1000_.jpg
    71RgcXnUMeL._SL1000_.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 380
i just buy the silicon matts in lidl, either the exercise one (£4.99 and about 1m x ,75m) for large items and the cooking one for small

Wilko’s Has been fine. Never tried the expensive version to see if it is better

I used one of those non slip mats in your picture. I don't anymore.

The problem seemed to be that dust would fall between all the holes, naturally, and this would then "lubricate" the mat on the surface it was on
and so it would then slide about.

I just use clamps and dogs now to stop stuff moving about.

Geoff_S":113h1l2q said:
I used one of those non slip mats in your picture. I don't anymore. The problem seemed to be that dust would fall between all the holes, naturally, and this would then "lubricate" the mat on the surface it was on and so it would then slide about.

I just use the no slip mats sold in pound shops. Running over them with the vacc/dust extraction periodically solves the slip problem for me. But then I have a habit of not letting dust build up.

I've got one sold for routing/sanding, cannot remember where I bought it but it looks similar to the one Rutlands sell. I use it for routing and sanding on the bench which has a chipboard surface, no slipping, when finished shake the mat off outside and vac the dust off the bench. I've had it a couple of years now and its wearing well.

I have used the one sold for wood working and the general kitchen use, fail to see any difference it the item but the wood working ones are always a lot more expensive. If they lose there grip, a quick wash in the washing machine (recommend when wife is out) brings them back to life.

Jasper42":2j64y6z8 said:
I have used the one sold for wood working and the general kitchen use, fail to see any difference it the item but the wood working ones are always a lot more expensive. If they lose there grip, a quick wash in the washing machine (recommend when wife is out) brings them back to life.

How do you use a washing machine :?: (homer)

Back