Router Lifts: Jessem + my router or Incra plate & Triton option

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stimpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks...

So my next decision for my router table approaches!.. So the main reason that this has become more of a consideration is budget led - but both options open to me are similarly priced but end up at a different solution.

Option 1: I can get the Jessem Mast R lift Prestige for a reasonable price ( Sadly missed out on the uber low Black Friday Rutlands price :poop:). With this I would put my OF1400 under it. I still have an OF1010 also.

Option 2: I get the Incra plate - which I really like the magnetic idea - and then buy a Triton and stuff it under there.. Then I still have my OF1400 and OF1010 above the bench.

Now if I'm honest with you I really wasn't planning on having 3 routers! I know this is no issue to most of you!. But by the time I build an extraction box etc then taking the 1400 out from under the table when I need it would become boring - that said I don't need it loads and would certainly use it less now I would have a table...

And before anyone helpfully suggests it; YES! I have seen Dennis's excellent video for this exact comparison and it does appear that the Triton combo is not miles off, just the Jessem is more finite by its gauge and I guess more future proof...

Hmm... What sayeth you folks?.. Is the Jessem really that much better and worth the fag? Should I get over it and accept owning 3 routers is ok?...... Hehe....

Have you looked at sautershop their plates/lifts and the OFL router(made by Mafell). It has a quick change which could be invaluable to you

Have you looked at sautershop their plates/lifts and the OFL router(made by Mafell). It has a quick change which could be invaluable to you

Just had a look. Certainly looks like quality but the price is comparable or more than the Jessem in the UK and that is before shipping so a non starter in this instance..

Why waste the OF1400 in a router table?

A Triton and suitable plate will work well. So will a Hitachi/Hikoki with a Router Raizer kit. Or the ubiquitous Dewalt DW625 if you want to go down the Jessem route (or other lift options). The point is the OF1400, is a very expensive router that is extremely well designed for handheld use but not as powerful as other, cheaper but highly capable half inch routers which are better suited to table use.

A Triton and suitable plate will work well. So will a Hitachi/Hikoki with a Router Raizer kit. Or the ubiquitous Dewalt DW625 if you want to go down the Jessem route (or other lift options). The point is the OF1400, is a very expensive router that is extremely well designed for handheld use but not as powerful as other, cheaper but highly capable half inch routers which are better suited to table use.

I would be taking it in and out! And getting bored with that possibly...

The point of my post is either get the Jessem and use what I've got or get the Triton with a plate as it will raise itself... I can't afford a decent lift AND another router, or certainly not in this hit.

Unless of course someone has another good solid option for £300.

I've been using Incra plate with a Triton for a couple of years now, works fine for me. Keep meaning to remove the switch interlock but haven't quite got around to it so have to reach under the table to switch off when wanting to change bits. Normally switched on/off via NVR along with vac extractor.

The Incra 7518-T MagnaLock is pre drilled for the Trinton including the above table winder hole, the Dewalt 625 will fit the Incra 621625-AL MagnaLock and has a hole pre drilled for the Router Raizer although sadly this has been out of production for the past couple of years as the producer has retired. The winder hole on the Incra 621625 plate is also positioned to work with the Trend T10 & T11 or any of those routers including the Festool OF1400 will fit on the predrilled JessEm Prestige excluding the Triton.

Just wanted to update this...

After some delay due to work - HMPF! - I decided to go with the Incra / Triton option. Ordered the plate which turned up yesterday and thought righto I'll get the router now..... And all the decent priced deals are gone! Grrr... :poop:

So either need to wit till the new year when stock comes back in or swallow the difference..... Hoping to get building the table over the Christmas break :).

This is not such an easy call. I already have a Triton router so for me the Jessem Mast R lift Prestige which gives precise and repeatable lift control is what I aim to purchase, you don't need a router in a table, essentially just a powerful motor so a modified Triton Tra001 and type 8 muscle chuck is where I am going. You could go down the same route, that OF1400 will be more use handheld even if not at the moment. The big issue for yourself is this will cost approx £635 plus having to modify the Triton wheras the JessEm Mast-R-Lift II (Metric) with AUKTools V3 Fixed Base Router (230v) Remote Speed Controller NVR is £765. Personally if I did not have the Triton and making this decision I would go AUK even though it ties you into that router, the other option does give choice.

This is not such an easy call. I already have a Triton router so for me the Jessem Mast R lift Prestige which gives precise and repeatable lift control is what I aim to purchase, you don't need a router in a table, essentially just a powerful motor so a modified Triton Tra001 and type 8 muscle chuck is where I am going. You could go down the same route, that OF1400 will be more use handheld even if not at the moment. The big issue for yourself is this will cost approx £635 plus having to modify the Triton wheras the JessEm Mast-R-Lift II (Metric) with AUKTools V3 Fixed Base Router (230v) Remote Speed Controller NVR is £765. Personally if I did not have the Triton and making this decision I would go AUK even though it ties you into that router, the other option does give choice.

I definitely "Wanted" the Jessem!.. But it just made greater sense due to my budget in the end to go via the Triton route as I have other purchases needed.

Again, if I ended up doing lots more table work then I would definitely look at that time to take the upgrade..... But for now, ( or when I get my hands on a Triton) this will be a pretty useful set up for me (y)

Forgot to mention that if you do ever go the Jessem route then it will focus your attention on the fence, these Jessem/Incra lifts give precision in the Z axis and so you would want that level of precison in the Y axis so now you start looking at fences and the bank balance takes a wobble. The Incra fence system is really top notch but that level of engineering does not come cheap.

Forgot to mention that if you do ever go the Jessem route then it will focus your attention on the fence, these Jessem/Incra lifts give precision in the Z axis and so you would want that level of precison in the Y axis so now you start looking at fences and the bank balance takes a wobble. The Incra fence system is really top notch but that level of engineering does not come cheap.
Oh yes, fully understood!.. I was drawn to the LS system I must admit but with no stock till spring I went with a Jessem fence...

Just need to build a table and have a play :)

Latest posts

Back