Router lift for horizontal router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirocosm

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to have a small horizontal router table in my previous shop that I mostly used for mortising to make wood paneling and small cupboard doors. I seem to remember that I saw it in some woodworking magazine, and they called it a mortising table. It had two tables about the same size fixed at right angles, with a slot for the router bit on the vertical table. It was made of plywood with arborite (formica) glued on it with contact cement. The router sat on a little sled, that could be moved with a wooden handle attached to a threaded rod.

I am thinking to build a slightly bigger one as I need it to make some windows and doors.

Anyone have any recommendations for the design? In particular the lift for raising the router?

Sounds like a WoodRat would be something to think about. If a used one came up at a decent price it would do the job and more.

Pete

Adding. You are describing a simple version of a PantoRouter type system.

I think that is a bit too rich for me.

The table I made looked something like this one, the main difference being that the vertical surface with the router in it was about the same size as the horizontal table, and it had a slot about 8" long for the bit to move up and down.
MortisingTable.jpg

I was planning on using a 1/2 inch mortising bit like this, so I need it to be fairly heavy duty.
MortisingBit.jpg

I think you need to give more details or a longer explanation, to me if you rotated that setup 90° you would in essence have a router table so what am I missing. I have cut slots using Wealdons groovers Heavy Duty and dowels to make wood paneling and small frame and panels but will look at morticing tables. I would agree with @Inspector that the woodrat is great for many jobs like these, it has got me out of trouble more than once.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was thinking to build something like the picture above with the router on its side. The main difference being the surface with the router in it being a bit more substantial.

The big question is how to make the lift so that it is easy to finely adjust, and still can be locked down so that it doesn't move.

Looked at horizontal morticing tables and the idea has been around along time, I can see where you are coming from and what you would like to build.

Some other peoples ideas:

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/horizontal_router_table.html
https://www.woodworkingarchive.biz/router-techniques/horizontal-router-table.html
https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/combination-router-table/
https://stumpynubs.com/product/horizontal-router/
https://woodgears.ca/slot_mortiser/horizontal_router.html
If you were going high end you could use an incra positioner to raise and lower the router assembly in the vertical position but this may be ott as you may not need this amount of travel. Many posibilities using threaded rod instead but I don't think you need a fancy router lift as it looks like the vertical position is more key than the horizontal postion of the bit, maybe a big orange triton that is cheap with a built in adjuster.

I am sure the incra is nice, but probably a bit more that what I want to spend on hardware. There seem to be a few designs around, it would be nice to hear from anyone that has built one of these, and what are the pro & cons of the various lifts.

The Stumpynubs table looks cool with the tilt. Although I would be a bit nervous with the work between the table and the bit, I would think it would be better to have a table that tilts up, like this one:
Horizontal Router Table- Adjustable top

The sled I made was very similar to the MLCS design, except it sat behind the vertical table so the knobs to clamp it were in the back. I had a Porter Cable router, so the collet would easily reach through that thickness. I also had an extra base that sat permanently in the sled.

When you look at the concept of having the router bit horizontal you can see some real advantages over having the bit vertical and needing a tall fence with some routing operations and you have gravity on your side. It seems most effort with the design of routing tables has just remained with tradition and not looked at expanding there potential. It has made me think about what could be done with building the ultimate workbench, rather than solid top with holes & microjig groves use a framework with a worktop that has changable inserts, so the bench will be easily adapted to your current needs. The vertical router could be an inset panel with a router lift and Incra fence attached to the bench using 20mm holes, like bench dogs sells and for the horizontal router you take the inset panel with router lift out and insert vertically with an infil panel in front. The vertical adjustment could be some form of threaded rod that moves the complete inset panel and router lift frame.

The older article above is the easiest version to make as the vertical board the router is attached to is pivoted at one end and has a slot at the other to lock it in place (a clamp would do). Fine height adjustment can easily be made with a threaded rod pushing up on the edge of the vertical board or a wedge doing the same. It can be added to an existing bench or a table saw extension. Also easy to add/incorporate into a router table. I don't have one as I have a WoodRat. You should be able to knock one up in an afternoon to try out. After playing with it you can improve on the design where you feel you need too.

Pete

Back