router jig blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Been looking for laminated HDF for long lasting router jigs cant seem to find it anywhere .I am using plywood at the moment but would like to make some of my well used jigs from HDF any ideas on where to find it ? Many thanks to all in advance :D

anobium punctatum":9v01aqlg said:
Been looking for laminated HDF for long lasting router jigs cant seem to find it anywhere .I am using plywood at the moment :D

Hi FB

Have you considered using acrylic (Perspex) or Tufnol instead? Both will outlast any form of MDF/HDF. Also, which type of plywood are you using? I've found that birch plywood has several times the life of far eastern or African plys

Scrit

Must admit did not think of using plastic (hammer) , might give it a try . Have been using cabinet grade 1/2" ply (12mm in new money) . Which is ok but you dont tend to get that nice router glide kinda feel if you know what i mean .

Well, short of using laser-cut aluminium, the next best is really Tufnol (phenolic plastic). There are two grades, paper re-inforced (cheaper) and cloth re-inforced. This is the brown stuff found on the bottoms of some routers.

Acrylic doesn't last as long as phonolic plastic, and it will craze with time, but it is plenty hard and a LOT cheaper. Offcuts can frequently be cadged from signwriters - it is used for shop signs - in thicknesses of 5 or 6mm which are ideal for templates. The only downside is that it is a pain to sand (tends to ball-up when it gets hot).

For both materials I have found it best to make an initial template in MDF or plywood and get it really accurate - then copy rout the template out of the harder plastic using a sharp bearing template cutter.

Scrit

I've started laminating (with contact cement) MDF (bought a large sheet of laminate) for jigs - works a treat - tools glide nicely over them. And they become a lot tougher. You can even get cheap iron on edging if need be.

Cheers

Gidon

i Had thought of using laminate flooring the type that looks like floor tiles but not big enough a slightly too thin . thanks for the idea's so far

Back