Router Jig Advice Needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrVimes

Reaction score
I've been given the task of buying or building a suitable jig to do the following;

Route a 'letterbox' style slot in the centre of rectangular tables and also create four recessed holes on the underside for threaded insert nuts to be fixed into.

The tables are 1360 x 880mm and 30mm thick, made from bamboo and the slot is 553mm x 174mm - centred in the tables.
Theses are finished tables that need to be modified so the least damaging solution needs to be used that won't leave scratches or marks on the surface.

This is the table with finished slot.

Any help or advice/pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I'm an amateur woodworker at home and whilst I know the basics of using a router I have no experience with routing tables or jigs of this sort. Thanks in advance!

Second time today.
Back bearing follower bit in your router and a wooden template to match the hole. Use masking tape and super glue to hold the template down.

Use a multitool to cut out most of the waste to save time and reduce the amount of work the router has to do.

If you arent happy to use masking tape trick then make the template big enough that you can clamp it either side of the table.

Again all down to a template, where would we be without them. I would do basically what Caine has said but make a template with long arms that can be clamped on the shorter side, remove excess material and route the final finish.

If you are planning to do more holes of differing sizes then go for Trends Varijig Frame System. A brilliant bit if kit and will last you a lifetime.

Once you have this, Trend have other connections and accessories that allows you to you extend use of the Varijig components.

A no-brainer for me.

If im doing different sizes i use 4 bits of wood. With that i can make any size rectangle. I made a set with tongue and grove ends and sides so it interlocked but didnt really need it.

Mdf or chipboard. Dont waste good stuff on it and dont use real wood if you want to use it for a long time (wood moves)

It probably will be for a while, would metal be a feasable option?

Back