router into spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello men, I'm realy new at the woodworking,but have read and digested a lot of info on here and in the mags.I'm having great pleasure making things, retired after years of University,now a free man,what I would like to know if it can be done is, could you make a spindle moulder from a router,by buying a block and a spindle or a shaft ,and the cutters obviously,with the router upside down installed in your workbench come router table,could this be done as a cheaper way of making a spindle moulder or too dangerous even to think about,the reason I ask is,there seems to be a greater selection of cutter designs than router bits,or am I wrong just not looking in the right places for the right cutters, I know this might sound outrageous, but I am a learner,and willing to be laughed at,
let the light be with you ,GANDALF <I:-{>

The short answer is No Way! Many considerations apply including but not limited to motor speed, bearings and general configuration. It would be extremely dangerous to try!

There are probably as many readily available router cutter profiles as readily available spindle moulder profiles. Blades for the latter will often look different because they are designed for a different size of machine. You may have to make two or more passes to duplicate a spindle moulder profile with router bits but in general anything you are likely to want to do in a non-production environment you can achieve with a router.

There is a class of machine more common in the USA than here that tries to bridge the gap as here for example http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 5?v=glance in general these are not very popular.

Take it from me my old friend, don't do it. Nasty mess if you get your beard caught in that. :wink:

A

Don't do it! Sounds far too dodgy!!
Mind you, if you did get your beard caught I suppose I would have to come to the rescue. Did you know your horse was here?
Tolkein would love this!
This is becoming a LOTR forum.
Aragorn, is your part of East Sussex in 1066 country?

SF

No, a router table is fine for most home woodworkers needs.

I found mine a pleasure to build, there are details on my site under how-to. A decently powerful router will often pack the same punch as a small splindle anyhow... :D

If anyone has a real spindle moulder then sets of cutters are going cheap as stock clearance from Kity.
£99.99 instead of £249.99
Pity such a good toolmaker has to slowly disappear like this.
http://www.kityuk.com

Aragorn":uel0t3ct said:
Shadowfax":uel0t3ct said:
Aragorn, is your part of East Sussex in 1066 country?
My god, a talking horse... :D

A
One learns something every time one logs on here!! I had no idea that Shadowfax was a horse!

Latest posts

Back