Router insert plate - first router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm just getting the wherewithal for my first router table build.

What would you recommended for the router insert plate?

1. Just a sheet of 12mm ply as it is my first go at a router table?

2. Ujk aluminium plate

3. Rutland's aluminium plate

4. Trend alloy insert plate

5. Phenolic plate? (Didn't sound like a good option but I'm open to hear your thoughts)

I know incra is one of the best options but cost is a factor. I wouldn't mind spending been£50 and£80 if the investment is going to be worth it for DIY use and is miles better than the ply plate I was talking about.

And I don't intend to evolve my router table into the best one over too many iterations, so hoping to piggy back on the collective experience here.

I have a trend T5 1/4"router. I know it isn't ideal to be mounted on a table but I can't buy a dedicated and powerful router for the table at the moment.

I'd like to understand and learn how to use the table first before I put any more large sums of money into it.

Just to clarify, this won't go on a dedicated table due to severe lack of space, it will sit into my table saw extension.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

have a look at "hookedonwood" on youtube. Dennis did a comparison recently with the incra and the banggood inset plates

From a person who is on his 5th home made router table, each one improved on from the one before; :roll: :roll:
Do yourself a favour, save a lot of time and some money and buy an incra plate right up front.
I tried phenolic, ok for site work, not good enough for small precision pieces because it WILL bow over time.
Ply wood is no good be cause you need different sized holes and inserts for different sized bits. Its not safe having a 1/4" wide cutting bit in a 3" wide hole.
Look very carefully at the chinese ones, they are tiny.

Trust me, the more you learn about the router table, the more you want to make a better one =D> =D> 8)

Droogs":35v36l82 said:
have a look at "hookedonwood" on youtube. Dennis did a comparison recently with the incra and the banggood inset plates

Here is the video where he compared the Incra Mast-R-Lift II to the Triton TRA001 in an Incra router plate. I don't think he ever compared the Incra plate to any other plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDkMkQzRR9U

I was afraid you were going to say that, sunnybob :D

The trouble is, I had the same thought - instead of reinventing the wheel and then arriving at the best, buy once cry once and get on with projects - which there are many to do.

With the incra plate, I think there is one which is compatible with T11 trend router - which I need to verify whether that has the same mounting as the T5. Either way, if I decide to upgrade my router down the line, is it just the matter of getting the holes drilled for whatever router I go with or is it more complicated than that?

Also, I have a home made router lift idea with an insanely precise IGUS adjustment track (courtesy of my previous employer who ended up throwing it in the junk, only to be rescued by me :D) which keeps the whole mechanism very simple. I may have to put the adjustment on the underside in order not to drill a 15mm hole on the top, maybe.

MikeK":u04m6s59 said:
Droogs":u04m6s59 said:

Here is the video where he compared the Incra Mast-R-Lift II to the Triton TRA001 in an Incra router plate. I don't think he ever compared the Incra plate to any other plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDkMkQzRR9U

Yes, that is correct. That is what I found too. Unless it has been taken down because someone from Incra requested him to :D :D (unlikely)

Incra plates come predrilled for many routers, but you can buy the slightly cheaper blank plate and install it yourself.

All it take is to use a metal or even wooden dowel that will fit in the router, and fit snugly into the smallest insert plate. I had a metal plug made at a machine shop for a tenner.

Truly, I was new to the hobby, and did exactly what I have been advising every body since not to do. Cheap mod after cheap mod, and I finally end up with the one I should have bought in the first place. It even went up 20 quid while I was dithering :roll: (hammer)
This is the one I have.
https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/produ ... -undrilled

If you look underneath the plate there is a complete table / plate combo ready to go. 8) 8)

Still worth checking out our Incra plates, the 621625 was specially made for us. It comes predrilled for the Trend T11, T10, Dewalt 625 or any other router with the Trend "TBC" hole paten and with the predrilled hole for the above table raiser.

Cost wise I think you will find the Incra is cheaper than the same thickness UJK plate and the Incra comes with three MagnaLock insert rings in the box, I think the UJK comes with one.

I know I am biased but I have never found a better plate or insert rings on the market.

Do check what size tabletop you have, Incra and JessEm use the US standard size other makes use different size plates to suit their table tops.

Cheers Peter

What Peter said ( and Bob ), I bought my Incra plate, Router Raizer and collect extension from Peter and know for certain I'll never need another. Pity I threw away the plastic one or you could have had it, realised how bad it was and thrown it in the bin yourself. #-o

Peter, a suggestion on "packaging" for you to consider.
I bought the plate with the solid inserts. then bought the perforated inserts (clean sweep?)
Now I never use the solid ones. How about an option to buy the perforated with the plate? They are far superior.
Or... drop the solid altogether??? :lol: 8)

Thanks, sunnybob, Droogs, Peter and Lons

I am sold on the incra as it was just one of those things where gut feeling needs a reinforcement.

Will be placing an order soon. Buy once, cry once, right!

bp122":1c3b2a0f said:
I am sold on the incra as it was just one of those things where gut feeling needs a reinforcement.

Me too! I started with a Triton TRA001 router in the Triton insert for my Triton Workcentre table. I wasn't happy with this, mainly because of the Workcentre design for the track slots. My next phase was attaching the TRA001 to an Incra plate and attaching the plate to the 24x36 inch Incra table. Still not happy with the TRA001, I recently changed to the Mast-R-Lift II and the AUKTools V3 router. I'm done. This is what I should have started with.

I bought the AUKTools V3, with the wired remote power and speed control, from Peter and am very happy with it. Apparently my review was not acceptable since it was never posted.

MikeK":1cn3jf08 said:
bp122":1cn3jf08 said:

Me too! I started with a Triton TRA001 router in the Triton insert for my Triton Workcentre table. I wasn't happy with this, mainly because of the Workcentre design for the track slots. My next phase was attaching the TRA001 to an Incra plate and attaching the plate to the 24x36 inch Incra table. Still not happy with the TRA001, I recently changed to the Mast-R-Lift II and the AUKTools V3 router. I'm done. This is what I should have started with.

I bought the AUKTools V3, with the wired remote power and speed control, from Peter and am very happy with it. Apparently my review was not acceptable since it was never posted.

Great to hear another happy customer, sorry I don't understand why your review didn't get posted :? :cry: thanks for the feedback, it's an automated review system :|

Cheers Peter

Latest posts

Back