Router Insert - Interested?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcros":3nm14vts said:
Thanks for organising this Dibs. I am just looking at my plate now.

A couple of questions:

1. I assume that this needs to be fixed into the top, or will the weight of the router hold it in firmly enough?
2. Aluminium plate- any problems with stainless fixings to hold in the router? I know that you shouldn't mix certain metals, but i can never remember what is safe with what.
3. On my phenolic plate, there is a guide/starting pin, which should be easy enough to make. Is it ever actually used?

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark

Some folk use it with just the weight holding it down. Others have drilled holes in corners and screwed it down. With an Aluminium plate - I'd screw it down.

If you look closely at the corners - you should see 4 cross hairs that have been laser etched into the plate. You can use these as guides to drill the plate.

There are also 2 further marks near the ring\disc recess that are also cross hairs that have been laser etched. These can be drilled out for guide pins.

In the previous Group Buy some folk asked for guide pins which I supplied. I ordered these,

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/W ... late_.html

folk just measured the bottom bit and drilled out the 2 holes accordingly.

I don't think you'll have an issue with using s\s screws, etc.

Hope you're happy with the plate. Sorry I missed you.

HIH

Dibs

Dibs-h":3bavthdt said:
marcros":3bavthdt said:
Thanks for organising this Dibs. I am just looking at my plate now.

A couple of questions:

1. I assume that this needs to be fixed into the top, or will the weight of the router hold it in firmly enough?
2. Aluminium plate- any problems with stainless fixings to hold in the router? I know that you shouldn't mix certain metals, but i can never remember what is safe with what.
3. On my phenolic plate, there is a guide/starting pin, which should be easy enough to make. Is it ever actually used?

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark

Some folk use it with just the weight holding it down. Others have drilled holes in corners and screwed it down. With an Aluminium plate - I'd screw it down.

If you look closely at the corners - you should see 4 cross hairs that have been laser etched into the plate. You can use these as guides to drill the plate.

There are also 2 further marks near the ring\disc recess that are also cross hairs that have been laser etched. These can be drilled out for guide pins.

In the previous Group Buy some folk asked for guide pins which I supplied. I ordered these,

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/W ... late_.html

folk just measured the bottom bit and drilled out the 2 holes accordingly.

I don't think you'll have an issue with using s\s screws, etc.

Hope you're happy with the plate. Sorry I missed you.

HIH

Dibs

Ah, great I may order one at some point. I have found the corner etchings and one near the disk. The other one will be somewhere there!

My router has through table adjustment and requires a 19mm hole or thereabouts. Has anybody tried a spade bit on aluminium- I don't have anything for metal above 8mm. My smallest holesaw is 32mm.

I wouldn't want to risk it, in case it ruins your plate or a bit snaps off and goes somewhere else. :oops: The following might be useful,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19MM-DRILL-BI ... 941wt_1185

If you've found one near the disk - the other on is a mirror of the 1st one.

Assuming you have the plate in front of you, laid out landscape and not portrait, with the 1 mark that you found near the disk, to the left of the hole recess. 97mm in from the top corner and 83mm down - there should be another mark there.

HIH

Dibs

p.s. Most Trend stockists have the pins in stock. Ellis & Sons in Bradford do.

found the 2nd etched mark.

A chap at work thinks he may have a 3/4" drill bit, if not I will buy one. I havent done the holes yet, but the guidebush fitted perfectly into the ring to centre the router on the plate. Might have a go at putting the plate into the table tonight.

Dibs,

Very happy. I've filed off a couple of knibs as others have done and all now fit well. Perhaps worth pointing out to any who have not noticed, as I've not seen anyone else mention it, there may also be knibs on the central holeof the rings. Unlikely to be a problem in use but you could catch a finger if putting a finger in to pull the ring out.

Tony Comber

Don't recall nibs on the last run we did. I've got something else being cut at the moment and will be speaking to the chap there and will mention that. Isn't a showstopper but be good to know why they're there in the 1st place.

Cheers

Dibs

Blast, I would have loved a steel one of these also. Are you likely to have a further run of these in the future dibs? I'm particularly interested in these as my plans are to have an all-steel surface to my table for magswitch/magsquare compatibility, and quite a bit of searching has only turned up aluminum and non-metallic plates (except the Veritas plate but that's $200!). Do you have any handle on what the one-off cost of something like this would be, and if a small engineering company would even consider doing a very limited run?

Hi Siggy

Sorry for missing your post. After the 1st run - I thought never again. Then did this last run - so I suppose the moral of the story is never say never as the saying goes.

Might do another one this year. Min run is 10 plates. Next price point is around 25 plates, if only 1 material is being done. If both MS and AL are being done, the price point ends up being 20 plates of each.

A one off - just as expensive as 10 sets.

Dibs

Thanks for your reply dibs. I think I'm going to try contacting some local firms to quote me for something similar, as I'm planning to build a router table extension around my table saw with two positions for the router so that I can use the sliding beam as a basis for a cross-cut carriage. I plan to make the table top from ply with a 3mm steel surface for magswitch compatibility, so given the dimensions it makes sense to get it all made locally. Designs to follow elsewhere when I've finished them!

siggy_7":1peh927c said:
Thanks for your reply dibs. I think I'm going to try contacting some local firms to quote me for something similar, as I'm planning to build a router table extension around my table saw with two positions for the router so that I can use the sliding beam as a basis for a cross-cut carriage. I plan to make the table top from ply with a 3mm steel surface for magswitch compatibility, so given the dimensions it makes sense to get it all made locally. Designs to follow elsewhere when I've finished them!

Yes - I can see the logic if you intend on making something bigger than these plates which were slightly bigger than an A4 sheet. CityLink ship upto 30KG for £7 approx - so for these plates, even for folk buying 2 sets in steel - given the prices we were paying, it made sense to do it collectively, given the purchasing power.

But if you are wanting to build something that is in essence an extension table - that could be bigger and therefore heavier and perhaps better suited to be done locally.

Dibs

Norte23":43buh4hr said:
Could I use you Tech drawing on the first page to have one made at work please.

the thread is 6 years old and Dibs-h hasn't been to the forum in 6 months. I think you are safe, tbh as this is hardly a proprietary design, it can be found just about everywhere.

Doh! I was getting all excited until I saw the date, I was ready to sign on the dotted line.

Drew

Back