Router Insert - Interested?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
We had a bit of Group Buy last year (I think). It was a laser cut insert in either Aluminium or Mild Steel with accompanying rings\discs. CityLink certainly loved me - with the number of packages.

The insert was as follows,

Router_plate1.jpg

The full details can be found at router-table-insert-t3783-195.html

but that's Page 14 of 39 - so you really need to be a sucker for punishment! A summary of what we did last time is as follows,

- 2 types. 1 Aluminum (8mm plate & 3mm rings) and 1 M\S (6mm plate & 3mm rings).
- AL rings can be used with M\S plate.
- 3 rings" to be supplied, 30mm inner hole, 50mm inner hole & 0 hole (referred to as disc).
- 12"x9" plate with 90mm hole in the middle - 3.1mm deep shoulder stepping up to 110mm. Allowing 3mm thick, 110mm dia rings\discs to be used.

The rings\discs ended up being a really good interference fit.

In usual UKW style - no pictures means it never happened - so here's some we made earlier -

RouterPlate.jpg

072.jpg

We did almost 50 sets last time. I don't expect the same number this time so pricing might be a smidge higher.

Any interest? Those who bought last time can comment on how good\bad\indifferent they turned out. :lol:

Dibs

Last time it was

AL - £18.26
M\S - 11.70

plus about £6 for delivery by CityLink.

This time it will depend on the numbers. At this point it's merely expressions of interest, based on which the laser cutters & machine can quote and then take it from there.

Dibs

I had a mild steel one from last year and it is great - well worth it ;-)

Dave

At that price I'd be interested. Not sure which to go for though. What's the pro's and con's?

Hi Dibs

I'd like one please!

I've just measured my plastic one and it is 307x229x6mm, so it is 2mm longer. I am hoping that this is not a major issue and can be fixed somehow. I guess I couldn't get one made to 307mm long just for me?

So for me the mild steel one would be best and also because I have mini-magnets in each corner of the recess in my table.

I guess the price you quoted is not including postage?

Either way, I'd still love one!

cheers
Steve

Jensmith":17bepsdp said:
At that price I'd be interested. Not sure which to go for though. What's the pro's and con's?
I have both from last time: cons withe the Aluminium is that it can leave marks on the wood and it is thicker at the edges than the plastic ones. pro's: it lighter.
sometimewoodworker":17bepsdp said:
Here is the detail from the MLCS plate I have got.
4692615013_54b290ce4a_b.jpg
It's the same as the Trend etc.
the thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/router-table-insert-t3783-30.html has lots more detail.

The Steel plate pro's: is the same thickness as the Plastic ones (near enough) so fits in the same recess. Cons: heaver, and needs treatment to prevent rust (past wax may work)

sometimewoodworker":3tv4oamb said:
The Steel plate pro's: is the same thickness as the Plastic ones (near enough) so fits in the same recess. Cons: heaver, and needs treatment to prevent rust (past wax may work)

I dipped mine in Carrs metal blacking from Chronos. Makes is smell a bit for a while but has worked quite well. I do wipe in down with oil once in a while as well.

Dave

Hi Dibs

Put me down for an aluminium plate please. Just finished making my new router table and fence this morning, mounted my router and my Dakota plate is sagging by about an 1/8" #-o

(added to the list)
Dibs-h":30mkh0p5 said:
Steel
1. Orcamesh
2. shipbadger

Aluminium
1. Cutting42
2. Studders
3. Marcros
4. Mark Aspin

Either
1.??