Router Insert - Interested?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now then I haven't read all this thread and have only just seen it. I believe I brought the plate with a triton router of a member here no so long ago. Its a great plate but I have found only one issue. The cut out for me isn't wide enough. Using a raised panel cutter the other day caused it to hit the metal an spark (naturally) and this was without an insert in. basically the pattern required didn't require all of the cutter to be used. The bottom part of the cutter makes around a 7mm step and only a 3mm step was required so I had to sink a bit of the cutter into the table.

After the sparks I raised the cutter then planed the panel down to give the correct step depth. Costly in time. I was going to make a new top for this to be used only when using raised panel cutters but if your able to get me one that is identical just with a wider opening, I would prefer it.

In that situation I would use a false bed, bit of ply or something thick enough to raise the work higher and make a larger hole in the ply.

Just what I planned to make Studders, at the time I needed a quick solution which was plane the panel down after. How ever if this insert can be made but wider I maybe interested. Saves installing a bed every time.

Hudson Carpentry":2sztws04 said:
Just what I planned to make Studders, at the time I needed a quick solution which was plane the panel down after. How ever if this insert can be made but wider I maybe interested. Saves installing a bed every time.

If we do another run - happy to make the hole and inserts bigger in diameter. The current design was the result of the collective deciding. Glad you are happy with the plate tho, especially considering what they cost.

Thanks

Dibs

Spoke to the machine shop earlier - all the AL plates have been machined and so have half the Steel ones, with the rest being done tomorrow. So all being well, I expect to be wrapping them this weekend and dispatching next week.

All who have purchased - please PM me your address\ delivery details.

Cheers

Dibs

Update: Spoke to the machine shop this morning and they'll be ready for me to collect in the morning.

They are machining around 22 or so plates this time and I would have expected each plate to take 5 or so mins to machine. The machine shop owner tells me that our job has taken 16hrs so far (@ £40 per hour) so whilst he will be honouring our agreed price at £4-£5 per plate (i.e. £5 per plate), he won't be doing anymore for us.

I'm a little bemused as to how they managed to do 50 or so plates for us last time (for around £3.5 per plate) and yet end up with a cost of around £30 per plate this time around.

Nonetheless this might end up being the last batch ever - unless the machine shop are able to figure out how the machining has taken so much longer this time. Something I need to find out anyway as I may need to find someone else to do my other "projects".

Cheers

Dibs

Dibs-h":5tts69pv said:
Update: Spoke to the machine shop this morning and they'll be ready for me to collect in the morning.

They are machining around 22 or so plates this time and I would have expected each plate to take 5 or so mins to machine. The machine shop owner tells me that our job has taken 16hrs so far (@ £40 per hour) so whilst he will be honouring our agreed price at £4-£5 per plate (i.e. £5 per plate), he won't be doing anymore for us.

I'm a little bemused as to how they managed to do 50 or so plates for us last time (for around £3.5 per plate) and yet end up with a cost of around £30 per plate this time around.

Nonetheless this might end up being the last batch ever - unless the machine shop are able to figure out how the machining has taken so much longer this time. Something I need to find out anyway as I may need to find someone else to do my other "projects".

Cheers

Dibs

Interesting change in cost, I know everything is getting dearer these days but this is some jump, as you say. Would be good to understand why. Anyway, many thanks for organising all this Dibs, it is very much appreciated. I have sent (or just about to send) you a PM with postage details.

thanks
Steve

Update:

Picked up the plates this afternoon.

Aluminium

alPlate.jpg

steelPlate.jpg

The 3 lines running the length of the plate were laser etched and could be used to help line up fences, etc. There are also 4 holes centre marked near the corners and 2 more near the disc\ring recess for router pins. These are just marked and you'll need to drill them yourself. These centre marks aren't visible in the pictures.

The recess for the rings\discs was done so that the ring\disc sits 0.1mm below the plate surface, allowing you to shim with paper to the required height.

Spoke to the machine shop owner and it transpires the machine operator didnt do the recesses using the same machine\tool as last time, hence the crazy amount of hours that they spent. Why? He doesn't know, but I bet he must have had some words with him.

He did say that should we get some more done - he would quote for them. The initial quote was £4-£5 and I worked on an assumption of £4.5. The amount paid was £5 as it didn't seem right to hold him to a mid point considering they did these at a large loss. I'll be adding the extra 50p to everyone's shipping costs.

Will wrap one of each (AL and MS) to get the weight and then let everyone know what the shipping costs are.

Intend to get these collected by next Wed at the latest by the couriers - likely to be City Link, on a next day delivery. With the exception of Luciano, whose plate will go DHL to Italy.

If you haven't sent me your address details - now would be the time, if you want it delivered this side of Xmas.

Cheers

Dibs

Update:

Apologies for the delay - got every set packaged up. Will weigh them in the morning (off work) and let folk know what the courier charge will be. All being well - will have them ready for the courier to collect on Monday for a Tuesday delivery or thereabouts.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

Dibs

studders":nz13odgq said:
Dibs-h":nz13odgq said:
Update:

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

Dibs

No, thank you for your efforts, much appreciated.

Mr S me old mate, so this is where you are hiding out. Just in case you disappear again have a great Christmas and an even better new year.

Cheers

Mike

Just priced the delivery up - £7.25 for next day delivery via CityLink.

Please make your payments via BACS - except for Studders, who I think has paid already.

Luciano - I'll send you a PM this evening with the cost of shipping to Italy.

Cheers

Dibs

p.s. If you can't do BACS or pay in over the counter, get in touch. I think one of you fits that category.

Just entered the transaction on-line, but with Santander again.
Hopefully it won't take too long!

Thanks for your efforts.

Back