Router insert and lift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice ' I would like to insert a router plate with a lift into my Axminster Trade Saw Bench cast iron extension table, that comes in 3 sections bolted together could it be milled out ?If so could you recommend someone or someplace local to me in Neath area South Wales i could take to to be done ? Or if its not possible i could use wood but that 's my second option thanks Mock

Attachments

• 87409072_2885892584843159_4681334346265657344_n_LI.jpg
    87409072_2885892584843159_4681334346265657344_n_LI.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 235
Don't do it!
The table is highly likely to distort with the rearrangement of stresses due to the 'kin great hole cut into it compared to those present when it was ground flat originally.

I bought some formica covered chipboard kitchen worktop on Ebay about 40mm thick as outfeed saw table and that has stayed delightfully flat for several years with a router lift set into it.

Thanks'for the advice . So i could just take the outfeed table away and replace it with the formica covered chipboard kitchen worktop :idea: That would save on the expense and time :roll: :roll: Mock
What router lifts do we recommend if i decide to go down that road
Easy instalment / value for money / and precision / opinions please Mock

I have just been offered a new 30 mm formica covered chipboard kitchen worktop do you think it would be ok ?? And my next question what plate insert lifts do you recommend Mock

30mm will be fine just make the supporting frame underneath with smaller grid spacing.
locate the router and its plate in one of the grid squares and build out from that.
Choose the plate for the features you want and your budget. Some can be very spendy! Some routers have their own lift system accessible through the baseplate so you can use a simple plate without a lift and just drill a clearance hole to access the lift adjuster.

Before cutting anything, design your fence and how that will attach to the table surface. Drawings will help. Make sure your lift adjusters wont be covered up by the fence!

If you have a trend router, get a trend plate. If you have others, I’d go incra as to you can fit whatever you want to your custom top.

The Axminster plates are ok, but the alignment method if poorly thought through and the levelling is frankly bizarre, but if you have an Axminster table, your choice is limited

Aidan

Mine is a SIP 01332 saw but very similar except I don't have the sliding table attachment.

I wanted a table that folded out of the way but was quick to put up so eventually bought a Rutlands table on offer as the fence is half decent and hinged it as in the pics with an old Lidl trestle contraption adapted as support, works very well for my needs.

Pics show the original insert which was cr*p so I replaced that with an Incra plate and Router Raizer lift from Peter Sefton

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 161
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 161
Kitchen worktop is rarely dead flat. It can have rolling curves and dips all over and still be a fine worktop though.
If you want to use your router for standard construction work using longish pieces of wood, it will work.
If you want to make smaller pieces for delicate or model making work (under 18" say) then the dips and curves are going to cause you problems.
Check the work surface in each direction with the longest flattest edge you have.

Decisions decisions The wife as offered to purchase me something like this below But do i have the room :D Any way any advice on this item ? Do you own one and if so would you recommend it ? :?
Premium Router Table with Router Lift and Motorhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/i/113983891 ... =2&itemid=

Time to take a few measurement in the morning i think . :idea: would Peter Sefton sell them
Mock

Hi Peter
Thanks' for the kind offer could you message me please so we can communicate through email 'for some reason i can not send emails or p'm regards Mock

Hi Mock, I bought a Jessem insert and lift with a dedicated motor from Peter. I have had it about 18 months now and am still delighted with it and the accuracy. My only comments are that there is no spindle lock so changing cutters is a 2 spanner job. The other thing that can be annoying is that the height adjuster is right in line with the cutter so you cant to blind plunge cuts. As said by Myfordman really think out your fence arrangement as without an accurately adjustable fence you will not get the accuracy benefits of the depth adjustments. My table is 18mm birch ply stiffened and then covered with an engineering plastic wear surface
Ian

Latest posts

Back