Router help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am after some advice regarding a router and a jig for making staircases.

The tools are for my dad who has recently set up on his own, he has got a number of stairs to make in the coming weeks and is looking to get a decent setup.

Now I have recently converted my dad to erbauer (screwfix) tools, as he has just bought their planer and he can't stop raving about it. As a result, he is looking at their 1/2" router which is up at £150.

Although I am keen on the screwfix brand, I am not sure on the quality of these for what he wants. The reviews seem good, but the spec seems to put the unit on the heavy side at 9kg.

Could anyone suggest a potential competitor to the screwfix router, he is looking at between £150 and £200.

With regards to the stair jig, the cheapest and potentially most useful one that I have seen is in Toolstation for £105 and this does both traditional and open tread risers. HaS anyone had any experience of the a unika brand?

Thanks

=Adam=":16619za5 said:
Hi guys,

I am after some advice regarding a router and a jig for making staircases.

The tools are for my dad who has recently set up on his own, he has got a number of stairs to make in the coming weeks and is looking to get a decent setup.

Now I have recently converted my dad to erbauer (screwfix) tools, as he has just bought their planer and he can't stop raving about it. As a result, he is looking at their 1/2" router which is up at £150.

Although I am keen on the screwfix brand, I am not sure on the quality of these for what he wants. The reviews seem good, but the spec seems to put the unit on the heavy side at 9kg.

Could anyone suggest a potential competitor to the screwfix router, he is looking at between £150 and £200.

With regards to the stair jig, the cheapest and potentially most useful one that I have seen is in Toolstation for £105 and this does both traditional and open tread risers. HaS anyone had any experience of the a unika brand?

Thanks

Can't really advise on the router, other than to say my Mac Allister cheapy B and Q 1/2 unit is surprisingly good, and is fine for home use in a router table. Probably not up to pro use in a site environment though.

The stair jig - that looks like like a very simple jig for over £100 - it looks like you could make that pretty easily from a bit of decent quality birch plywood and a few inexpensive screw fittings...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Triton TRA001 is brilliant. I had a cheapest routers before getting the triton and it's fantastic. The TRA001 is the biggest and heaviest model (is mainly use mine in a table) but it's very smooth and precise. I think it's a great bit of kit and I know other on here so to. I got mine for just under£200 at a tool show.

I like my Triton TRA001 too but it's a big beast and in my opinion suited best to a permanent home in a router table. For a mixture of hand held and table work I would suggest the slightly smaller MOF001, has plenty of power still for regular sized bits and being a fair bit lighter it's a much better hand held proposition.

I have the Unika jig it is ok but you have to follow the instructions carefully. It comes with its own base plate and guides. you need to select the correct combination. I got the Axminster router cutters to go with it. If you are doing lots of stairs it is worth getting a jig. For one off it might be better to make your own.
Also routing stair stringers takes a lot of hp as you have to cut the housing in one cut as the sides are slightly dovetailed so bear in mind you need a lot of power. If you are doing a lot of stairs it would be worth investing in a workhorse like the big dewalt

Back