router help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirjj

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the Bosch and it is not very rigid so only suitable for light work.

Not sure about the others but Macallister is a B&Q badged model and not sure how much support there will be in the future for it as they have been gradually dropping other tools under the same name.

I don't know about the jcb - is there a linking with the digger company.

Test for rigidity. apply the depth lock and then apply pressure to the handle that does not have the lock on it. The router should not move up or down on that side at all. Reject any that do as that movement will appear at the cutter tip.

See if they have a dewalt 625 or a trend or spend the voucher on paint etc instead and buy a known quality brand of router elsewhere.

hth

Bob

I've no direct experience of any of these models but you ought to be aware that these are all aimed at the occasional diy user and will not be as good as a professional tool costing twice as much. You are likely to find things that are not as precisely made as they should be, plastic where metal would be better etc.
Also, if you are likely to want to buy cheap Chinese bits, there is a bigger range in 1/2" and 1/4" shank sizes. The JCB and MacAllister take these. The Bosch takes less common 6mm (not interchangeable with 1/4") and 8mm bits.

Now that's not so easy.
The Bosch has a good name behind it but I think it only takes 6 & 8 mm collets - this limits the size of the cutters it can drive.
It also has the lowest power of the three at 1200 watt.

The JCB has a 5 year warranty but it's a JCB.
On the plus side it takes 1/2".

The MacA is an unknown quantity, good power and takes 1/2", has a three year guarantee.

My heart says Bosch but my head says not Bosch because of the lack of 1/2".
If you think you'd be happy with only 6 & 8mm collets then I'd go for the Bosch - if you want 1/2" (for me this is a must) then I'd say MacA.

This is only my opinion and can be ignored/rubbished/etc.

I've got the Bosch one. Been using it for about a year now. really nice little router. It doesn't take 1/2" bits but I've not found that a problem as I don't really need anything that big. It's small size makes it easy to use freehand if you need to. Plenty of power for 1/4" bits in most applications.

The main thing I like about it is the depth locking lever. On other routers, the unit moves up and down until you lock it off. With the Bosch, it's depth is locked until you push the lever over against the spring. Let go of the lever and it's locked. I find this makes it much easier to set the depth and it also means the lever won't unlock due to vibration.

My only negative with this is that this model doesn't have a fine adjustment control. The body has the shape for one but it is not part of this model.

I've had a look at the MacAllister routers instore before now. The seem ok but a little bit ..... cheap. I own a couple of MacAllister sanders which are well made and work nicely. Not sure if MacAllister changed their build quality since I got them but the new Mac stuff doesn't feel quite as solid as when I bought my sanders. :?

Hope that helps.

AndyT":37nk63x8 said:
I've no direct experience of any of these models but you ought to be aware that these are all aimed at the occasional diy user and will not be as good as a professional tool costing twice as much. You are likely to find things that are not as precisely made as they should be, plastic where metal would be better etc.
Also, if you are likely to want to buy cheap Chinese bits, there is a bigger range in 1/2" and 1/4" shank sizes. The JCB and MacAllister take these. The Bosch takes less common 6mm (not interchangeable with 1/4") and 8mm bits.

Andy,

I have that Bosch model and the standard collets that came with mine are 1/4 and 8mm

However if this one really has a 6mm collet then that will seriously limit the OPs choice of bits. That and its lack of rigidity means it should be avoided.

Bob

I was just reading off the website spec where it said 6mm and 8mm - and knowing that you can't mix 6mm and 1/4" bits easily. Worth checking on the thing itself if you wanted to get the Bosch.

The description of the same model on the Axi site does say 1/4" 6mm and 8mm.

AndyT":3niuwlj9 said:
I was just reading off the website spec where it said 6mm and 8mm - and knowing that you can't mix 6mm and 1/4" bits easily. Worth checking on the thing itself if you wanted to get the Bosch.

The description of the same model on the Axi site does say 1/4" 6mm and 8mm.

The Bosch from B&Q does come with a 1/4" collet. :D

What Bob said,
9fingers":3qb6ws3h said:
See if they have a dewalt 625 or a trend or spend the voucher on paint etc instead and buy a known quality brand of router elsewhere. Bob

I definitely wouldn't buy any of their 'home brand kit', spend the money on something else. Or see if the till assistant will let you give the voucher you get to someone in the queue, in exchange for some money, maybe give them a bit of a discount. Then get a decent router from somewhere else, you can get 1/4in Makita or DeWalt for 120 notes, or the Bosch 1/4in palm router (which I've heard good things about & will be buying in the not so distant future) for the same price.

No point IMHO buying half decent kit, when you can get far more solid stuff for a little bit extra.

Cheers _Dan :)

goldeneyedmonkey":yeb7r21r said:
No point IMHO buying half decent kit, when you can get far more solid stuff for a little bit extra.

Cheers _Dan :)

Agreed - I was lucky I picked up a Trend T11 for 125 quid.
Like the sound of the Bosch Palm router - which model is it?

Back