Router elevator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJN

Reaction score
Hello People,
I've never been on a forum site before and not sure what I'm doing but here goes. . .
Recently I have been converting my garage into a workshop, something I always would have liked, and now in the process of constructing my own router table. I researched and bought an UJK router elevator from the Axminster shop. My old router is not suitable as I can't remove the handles due to the electrics, so I was hoping to purchase a Hitachi /Hikoki M12VE router ( one that's in the UJK online manual which states some of the routers listed may not be suitable !!!! ) but Axminster tell me that this one is not suitable and only recommends the Dewalt 625 which is a lot more expensive. Having spent so much already, can anyone suggest another router that would be suitable for this UJK elevator which I have to say appears to be a well made piece of kit.
In advance I appreciate any help given.

Axminster sell that expensive piece of kit without any stipulations as to which routers fit. Their blurb says there is an adaptor plate. You should be able to fit your router to one or the other, although it will most likely mean drilling holes to the pattern on the bottom of your router, which is a common thing to have to do. The only awkward part to it is making sure your router is DEAD CENTRE on the hole before drilling.
If your router doesnt fit in any way, I would suggest you return that for a full refund. You certainly should not have to go and buy another router.

Axminster sell that expensive piece of kit without any stipulations as to which routers fit. Their blurb says there is an adaptor plate. You should be able to fit your router to one or the other, although it will most likely mean drilling holes to the pattern on the bottom of your router, which is a common thing to have to do. The only awkward part to it is making sure your router is DEAD CENTRE on the hole before drilling.
If your router doesnt fit in any way, I would suggest you return that for a full refund. You certainly should not have to go and buy another router.

Thanks sunnybob. I appreciate your comments.

I have an Axminster plate to fit an Axminster table, their design is really not good. All together it works nicely, but it could be so much better for the same or less cost with some better engineering.

If your router won’t fit, I’d think about returning the elevator. I know someone with a T11 in one, that’s not a cheap router though.

Aidan

nothing to add about mounting the router that hasnt already been said. Just to say that I have used both. The 625 is the goto pro heavy duty router. I think you could run over it with a tank and it’d be the tank that came worst off. It’ll run large diameter cutters all day long. The hitachi stuff is more top end diy. Maybe pick up a second hand 625 and leave it in the table? Keep the other for hand use?

Last edited:
I have a Triton MOF001 router in my table. It has automatic spindle locking when you raise the collet, through the table height adjustment and (for me) plenty of power. Can anyone explain the advantage of using a lift rather than a router designed for table use?

Andrew

I bought an old Performance Pro router with table for next to nothing and made my own elevator. To do this I needed to remove the handle with switch but that suited me fine. I took some videos, my son is editing and I'll post here when it's done

I have a Triton MOF001 router in my table. It has automatic spindle locking when you raise the collet, through the table height adjustment and (for me) plenty of power. Can anyone explain the advantage of using a lift rather than a router designed for table use?

Andrew
Its a bit easier to be fair, and a little bit more adjustable, but fundamentally you are right. when i started I went for the big dewalt ‘cos it was a jack of all trades. Table, freehand big or small cutter. (Had the triton been out then I may well have chosen it instead. )

I then went for a small dewalt for freehand work and left the big one in the table most of the time. Then came the spindle and now the big dewalt only comes out on special occasions.

I’m pretty happy now - at least for what I do.

I have used a lift with a fixed motor. Really nice if price is no object!

Andrew
All the adjustments including locking are done from above the table, no getting down on your knees to adjust anything, lift mechanism has a scale so minute adjustment are possible and you don't have to group around the router on your knees under the table to undo the spindle lock, one of the worst things about the Triton, I use a MuscleChuck which makes the whole thing much easier.

and you don't have to group around the router on your knees under the table to undo the spindle lock, one of the worst things about the Triton, I use a MuscleChuck which makes the whole thing much easier.
I'm not sure where this complaint is coming from - the Triton's spindle lock is automatic, and engages as soon as it's raised to the highest position. That's pretty simple to do from above the table as long as you've got a hole drilled for the adjustment handle. The only thing I have to reach for underneath the table is the power switch, which I have positioned at the front right hand side where I can find it instantly by feel.

The complaint? is coming from someone who got rid of the Triton and changed to an above table lift as the spindle lock and the Router lock can't be accessed from above the table to Unlock the automatic spindle lock or Lock and Unlock the Router plunge mechanism.

My set up has evolved, home made table, trend plate, dewalt 625. Got bored of fixing un-fixing the 625, changed it to a T11 added a muscle chuck and a NVR switch. I have made several fences added mitre slots.
What i have now is perfect for me, while if you add up the cost, yes it is a lot of money but I have spread the cost over years and had a perfectly usable router table the whole time.

Back