Router electrics...Help !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2100 watt erbauer router fitted to my router table which has not done that much work. This week i have been chamfering some cedar boards and cut the speed down a bit.I have a zip tie around the switch and use the mains switch as it is next to the table. When i turned it on yesterday it was hunting so i put it on high speed and it was fine, today i turned it on and it started then stopped. If i switch it on and off quickly i can get it to run briefly.
The router has a soft start which now doesnt work and i dont think the speed control works.
I have checked the usual like brushes leads etc.
So my question is can i bypass all the electronics and connect staight to the brushes as i really mainly use the max speed or does anyone know where i could have it fixed or buy spares.
Sorry for the waffly explanation but thought i would try and state the facts.

Failures of the motor controllers are very common, unfortunately. Has the router been kept in a shed, or somewhere that gets hot and cold as the outdoor temperature changes? If so, it's most probably damp that's destroyed the track of the speed controller variable resistor (AKA 'potentiometer or 'pot': the knob or thumbwheel you adjust manually). It's has a circular track made of compressed carbon, with a carbon wiper, a bit like a pencil lead, and the track can crumble away (like microscopic road potholes), leaving non-conductive gaps.

Thing 1: take it indoors and warm it up thoroughly and get it thoroughly dry. Start by putting it in a sealed plastic bag that you squeeze as much air from as possible. Otherwise if it's cold you'll get a lot of condensation on it as you bring it indoors (BAD). Alternative: take it immediately from the shed onto a hot radiator indoors - must be hot and must be immediately (don't linger in the kitchen for a minute!). Once it's warmed-up the risk has gone.

Let it continue to thoroughly dry out in a warm place for a few hours (overnight), then gently work the speed control knob back and forth end-to-end a few times (no power at this point!). If you feel any mechanical rough patch, that's almost certainly damage. If it's smooth, you might be OK.

Thing 2: Assuming it's intermittent (won't give a stable speed) you MIGHT be able to improve things if you can get at the control pot's carbon track inside the router. If the damage is visible, it's too late, but
rubbing the track in the problem area with a soft pencil (4B is best) might help (don't leave loads of graphite dust inside it though as that's conductive). Don't try this unless you are comfortable with assembly/disassembly of mains electrical equipment. You might get a replacement control from somewhere like Maplins, CPC or Rapid electronics. To do this, you'll need the letters and numbers from the part, (and the ability to solder).

I wouldn't attempt to connect directly to the brushes for a number of reasons. In short, the electronic speed control is unlikely to be feeding the motor directly with 240V mains. It's hard to know and I wouldn't risk it.

Incidentally, for long term storage, ALWAYS wind the speed controller to one end or the other. That places the wiper off the track altogether and will extend its life enormously. I'd guess the best position is leaving it on the fastest speed setting, but it depends on how the pot is used in the circuit, which I can't know from a distance.

Probably doesn't help much, but you never know.

E.

PS: I've got an old B+Q router (Performance Power, Power Pro or sommat - blue with yellow bits, anyway) with the same problem. but haven't had time to look at it. WhenIGetAMo, I'll do so and report back.

Thanks for that, it is in the van now and i will cook it on the radiator when the heating comes on. I am very happy stripping and soldering so will have another look if cooking doesnt work. :?

I have 'cooked' the router overnight and got it evenly quite hot and this morning it still is not working , the speed control is smooth and i will meter it but still think there must be more than damp as the soft start didn't work......so maybe time for the bin!
I have fitted a very old makita to the table which will work fine for now.

squib":qdoavylp said:
I have 'cooked' the router overnight and got it evenly quite hot and this morning it still is not working , the speed control is smooth and i will meter it but still think there must be more than damp as the soft start didn't work......so maybe time for the bin!

That's a shame. I thiink I'd still have a quick look inside, in case anything's very obviously failed. I've seen resistors snap in half with vibration before now (power resistors are usually stood off the PCB and thus poorly supported), and capacitors often explode.

You sound competent with meter and soldering iron: you might have a cheap fix, who knows?

Regards,

Eric the make-do-and-mender.

So after a long morning i decided,at lunchtime, to try and fix/ pineapple the erbauer....it was a bomb disposal moment snip the wires and rejoin without the electronics ....yellow,red, blue!!!!!
Anyway luckily there is a mini wiring diag on the speed control so i just tried and bingo up she fired albeit only flat out which suits me fine, so thanks Eric its always good to ask before a bodge/repair. Squib.

Attachments

• IMAG0063.JPG
    IMAG0063.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 60
Well done!

I'll bet it's the pot though. Now you've got it going, try putting a meter between the centre pin and one end of the resistor, and see what effect turning the knob has. If you get infinity in certain places, the track has broken up, as discussed.

I ought to get on and fix mine now...

Cheers,

E.

Eric i wil try the pot i metered either end and seemed to be ok but need another pair of hands, memo to self get some croc clips for my meter.

Hmm, this is an interesting post. I have a similar problem with one of my Hitachi MV12's. Great router but not really worth spending £86 plus on a new speed controller. I may have a look inside. Thanks guys. :wink:

Hi,

disconnected speed controller on my old router, it didnt live long after that, good firework dipslay from the armature.
The speed controller alllows the router to come under load and not over load the armature. As soon as you hard wire and the motor comes under load all the current is getting dragged through the armature and brushes hence they dont live very long :)

Back