Router dust extraction Q

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1ke_a

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a Makita RP2301 1/2" router which has a dust extraction cover port, but which is about as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot.

I'm using it 'freehand', connected up to a Fes CTL mini but yesterday's dust storm saw most of the debris blowing out the routed channel I was cutting.

Am I being wildly optimistic over the dust extraction capabilities of vacs and routers, or is there an alternative approach / bit of kit that someone can suggest? It's unlikely that I can / will create a dedicated table for it.

Cheers

P.S I'm glad I've got a decent face mask!

It seems strange if Makita has created such a high-end and expensive router without realising the extraction doesn't work properly. Have you tested the connection end of the vac to make sure it's not blocked and is pulling strongly ie sticks to your hand?
Brian

There are lots of things you could try.
Cut a stopped groove, the end of the groove stops the debris - go back at the end and cut the end of the groove out
The dust collection might work better traveling in on direction over another - watch how the waste is thrown off the cutter
Attach a small piece of brush strip to the back of router so it drops into the groove
Use a larger hose diameter 27mm cam be overwhelmed and block, I also have 36,51 and 76 mm vac hose
Try a different vacuum - more motors,bigger filter area,airflow monitor etc
Matt

I'm no expert, but my router has seen lots of action over Easter and the dust collection is very much dependent upon the cut that I'm making; it's great when cutting housings because that encloses the cutter nicely, but when cutting a rebate on the edge of a board the cut is only enclosed on one side allowing much more to escape.

The type of wood also affects the effieciency with denser woods harder to collect.

I still persevere with my dust extraction because I still seem to have a lot less to sweep up at the end of the day than if I don't bother.

Cheers for the thoughts folks.

The suction power is fine and I do a end of job clean up with the vac without probs. - Might have to see how long the filters last in the Mini though.

Shrubby

Good point about 'encasing' the groove with a stop though this particular job was creating a large rebate in MDF which as turnamere says may have been exceeding things a bit. Do you have a snap of your brush strip idea? - A picture paints a thousand words and all that.

The only other vac I have is the house one and I'm not sure I'll earn any brownie points by experimenting with that one! I gather a lot of domestic vacs really struggle with chips, dust filtering etc so do folk have any suggestions for a suitable cheapy unit? I got the CTL Mini explicitly for it's heavier duty extraction and its going to get used to do a load of wall chasing in the next month or so.

m1ke_a":oqb20l92 said:
The only other vac I have is the house one and I'm not sure I'll earn any brownie points by experimenting with that one! .

I can confirm that you will not.

It can also be really dependant on the depth of your cut, sometimes if its deep you are just producing to much waste that the vac can't carry it all away.

I wouldn't do any wall chasing with your brand new festool vac personally, we did some a few weekends back with a non festool vac and it destroyed it and filled it up so quickly. It'll either need the worlds biggest clean and all new filters or just off to the bin. The festool bags and filters are just to expensive for that sort of work. I'm taking my CT22 to do some concrete hovering this week but that'll be with a separator in place.

m1ke_a":qwdovour said:
I got the CTL Mini explicitly for it's heavier duty extraction and its going to get used to do a load of wall chasing in the next month or so.
I found a cheap as chips B&Q own brand vac for about £35 a few years back, I reserve that for nasty building detritus and hoovering out the woodburner occasionaly since I don't mind destroying it.

Where does it extract from? I've got the festool 1400 router and it uses a plastic tube which I can't believe I haven't broken yet that attaches around the cutter and extracts out the side. It's also hopeless at extracting when groove cutting but fantastic at extracting from edge routing with the cover cap that fits on underneath the base. I'm surprised they haven't developed some horribly expensive piece of plastic to deal with groove cutting (or maybe they have - please don't tell me if so as I don't have any money left!)

Chems

Interesting to hear of your chasing experience. I got a Draper chaser a while back but haven't fired it up yet. I'll be doing the actual break out with my 4Kg SDS drill but wanted clean lines and not spending ages scribing them with the various chaser bits.

Sounds like it might be worth surfing the bay of fleas for a cheap 2nd hand vac.

Fuster

The Mak has a clip on unit as shown below, which extracts to the rear.

210800_inset1_xl.jpg

Hi,

I think the main problem with a groove is that you don't get any air flow, so you won't get any dust extracted.

I have a 3612 and the clip on unit is the same as the one above, if it had a hole the oposite side to the hose you could get some air flow across the bit and better exrtaction.

Pete

Back