Router Cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats the same piecve of equiptment that i use to make sure the guide pin is exactly in equidistant from the centre of the cutter,

tim, i wish we could get the equiptment that the tables are being used for, but they are satelites!! so i doubt they will let me get my grubby mits on one. i totally agree with about the tolerances, we contacted the guys who gave the work to us, and according to them the tollernace is +/- 0.01mm

Johnboy, i think itw as a case of the company that has given us the work doesnt have the time, or the facilities to produce the tops, hence it has been given to us,

BigJohn, As much as i would like to just drill the holes, they need to be plumb, and im sure that reeating it over a couple of hundred holes will be very very difficult, hence the need of a router which can just be plunged down through the template

+/- 0.01mm. :shock: That is jig boring tolerances not template and router. Make sure it is very clear exactly what you are responsible for Matt and in writing. You don't want to end up not getting paid for this. What is the tolerance on the hole diameters? I don't know how accurate routed holes are but doubt if much better than +/- 0.1mm could be achieved.

John

the hole diameters have to be exact, its the locations of the holes which is +/- 0.01mm
one other thing on these table tops is thatthere is a 220mm diameter hold in the exact centre of the piece, how would you suggest doing this?

Sounds like a job to sub-out to someone with a CNC routing machine. this could route all 4 sides square and position all the holes, if the drawing was produced using CAD then it can be imputted straight into the machine reducing the risk of errors.

Is your panel saw upto these tollerances as its no use setting out to these exact sizes from an edge that is not straight or square.

Jason

Relax everyone, they can have all the tight tolerances they like - but they seem to be ignoring the fact this is wood! It can move any which way it likes, and their isn't much you can do.

Any problems, you just say - well, it was perfect in my workshop, at humidity XX% and if it's moved, it's material change, not manufacturing error.

Wood - +/- 0.01mm! Comedy.

Adam

Jason,
we are havign the panels made by a shop fitting company local to us.
they make all of the T-slotted MDF boards you see in alot of big named shops
they have the equiptment to cut them exactly etc
what are the extremes of which ply can move??

Matt, the hole diameters will not be exact. There will be a small clearance between the guide bush and the template, there has to be or it wont fit. There will be some runout in the router. The cutter must have a tolerance on it as well. In toolkmaking where big expensive and very accurate machine are used everything still has to have a tolerance. Ask them how they intend to measure these holes in plywood to ensure they are exact. All measuring equipment has tolerances too.

John

Back