Router cutter release systems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have three routers all getting on a bit and all suffer the same problem, it takes an age for me to release the collet to remove the cutter. I recently damaged a cutter trying to get it out. This clearly is no good. Do any models have an Allen key release or something else?

All the routers I have use the nut to release the collet as well as close it, so I am unfamiliar with the problem.

Which brand of router do you have problems with??

Bob

on the woodrat website there is a muscle chuck that sounds like what you are describing

Which models? There are different collet designs between Bosch and DeWalt/Trend/Elu. The latter ones need more undoing of the nut to come free. I *think* the Bosch ones wear faster, but I haven't got much to go on - my Bosch is small, handheld and heavily used, so it may just be it's been used a lot more.

If they're really sticking, you may need to replace the collets and possibly the nuts too. It does sound a bit like they're worn, which is bad news for the shanks of the cutters and not dreadfully safe either (if they don't grip they can slip). New bits for most brands from Miles Tools in Shepton Mallet and a number of other places.

HTH,

E.

the small one is a Bosch and nut has to be removed completly to drag the cutter out, others non descript cheapos and the nut no longer releases the collet. No problems with loose cutter they are rock solid, thats the problem

marcros":2bk3kvpr said:
on the woodrat website there is a muscle chuck that sounds like what you are describing
What a price, I need both arms and legs so may well have a go at making one. And before the elf and safety brigade start I am a toolmaker by trade.

My draper expert (trend copy) does this, undo it, then you think its loose, but needs another turn or so, either that or a sharp tap on the nut with the spanner seems to free mine up every time.

If a light tap sideways on the cutter with a piece of wood or small rubber mallet does not release the collet then it is worn and needs replacing.

Having just read that you are a toolmaker then I would expect you to be aware of the finer points of collet use. A worn collet no longer grips on the surface but instead only has line contact on the shank and far less grip.

The Triton uses a combined collet/nut system (available for 4 shank sizes) I've never known my cutters to stick - when released they just pull out easily.

You may wish to look at the Xtreme Xtension. It's sold in the UK by Roger Phebey at Woodworkers Workshop. Not cheap, but cutters are installed with one turn of an allen key. You also get more depth of cut, useful when in a router table. I'm nt sure if it is available for a 1/4" cutter though, maybe only 1/2".
S

My xtreme came with a 1/4" collet and I've made an 8mm one to the same design. Of course the xtreme is only applicable to 1/2" routers.
Bob

I'm pretty sure that there is a Trend router extension for 1/4" collet routers.

If you have a Bosch then chances are you might have an 8mm collet, mine came with both the 8mm and the 6.35mm, if so Dieter Shmidts Fine Tools site has some 8mm collet extensions I think.

Back