Router collet extension- newbie ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Having used my new router (T3: the small model) inverted in a home made table for some time mainly for rebating, I now have a better table and realise all my bigger (actually they're not very big at all, max 20mm diameter) cutters have too short a shank to be of much use for edge moulding.
I want to get a collet extension and Trend seem to do a 1/4" extension which would fit.
My questions are: are they safe to use in a small router? How much shank length can I safely have in the collet? I would imagine they are pretty routine to use in a table but they are quite hard to find, do people just get longer shanked cutters?
I still have a healthy respect (actually terror might be more accurate) for my router and it's ability to take a chunk out of my soft yielding flesh so if you all routinely use extensions, that would be reassuring too!
Thanks, Keith

Keith

Before you go down that route have you checked out the extended mortice cutter set from trend? They are slightly longer than the average cutter.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I haven't. I have a good Perform set of cutters, I was hoping to use rather than splash out on new cutters with longer shanks. I noticed that the extension is about £30 but have only seen one for 1/2" routers which wouldn't fit. I was hoping to use a 1/4" one but wondered about the power of a small router and safety aspects of added length and increased shrapnel potential.....yikes :(

Hi Keith

The Xtreme Xtension, which is incredibly well engineered, costs over sixty pounds.

imho you'd be better off looking at a bigger router, with greater plunge depth, rather than an extension?

Cheers
Neil

I would agree with Neil,

but you will still have a problem when you run into the panel raising kit, the bit thats 3 1/2" wide. They need an extension collet and that looks even more frightening with that set up.

My advise is DO NOT consider the CMT router extensions. At anything over minimum speed and a very light cut causes excessive vibration. They are 2 of the most useless things I ever bought.

Thanks for all that, I am going to save up for a new router. It's the kind of tool that's small enough to sneak into the shed without my wife noticing, so long as I don't get it by post, I might get away with it!

KeithG":pe60cwhe said:
Thanks for all that, I am going to save up for a new router. It's the kind of tool that's small enough to sneak into the shed without my wife noticing, so long as I don't get it by post, I might get away with it!

Easy give the lady some money to go our for the day and then go shopping yourself :D

Back