Router Collet Extension For Handheld Use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just taken delivery of a Wealdens Surface Trimmer for use in a thicknessing jig I've built but the shank is a little too short so the cutter only just sticks out the base of my Dewalt 625 router.

Could anyone suggest a 1/2" collet extension which is suitable for both table and handheld use? I've read about the Xtreme Xtension and it does look good, though it's a bit too pricey for me, plus I don't know if it's okay for handheld use.

Thanks,
Mark

i have the Extreme Extension and find it very good, but this is in my router table and I wouldn't recommend using an extension collet in hand held mode!

It's not so much the cut Mark, it's what happens if, for example, you hit a knot or something hard. The cutter can start to run 'planetary', and the router becomes impossible to control. A large, powerful router that runs away from you is a frightening beast!
If you must, stick to smaller diameter cutters.

Roy.

I'm a plonker!! :roll:

In the rush to place the order before 4pm in the hope that they might be able to post that day (as it happens they posted the next day) I didn't search through their website thoroughly enough, so missed the 6-wing surface trimmer which has a 30mm longer shank!

I haven't used it, but have picked off the gelatin-like coating the cutter had been dipped in. I'll send them an email and hope they can exchange it.

I'm still tempted by the Xtreme Xtension, but for table use only!

Mark #-o

I use CMT router collet extensions with my DW625 in the table (1/4" and 1/2") and think they are great value for money (screwfix have them for under £30). Never tried to use an extension hand held.

I really rate them.

Steve

Back