Router chews up brushes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcod

Established Member
Reaction score
My Charnwood router started to judder and ground to a halt. Checked the brushes and they looked worn and damaged.

A brand new set of brushes went in but exactly the same thing has happened - damage to the brushes, a burning smell and then no movement at all.

Is it worth any further repair (I'm not very confident with electrics) or just bin it and fork out for another one?

The sparking as the first set wore down probably pitted the surface of the commutor and thats abrading the new brushes. Bob 9fingers will hopefully confirm.

J

Hi. 1st check would be to make sure it spins freely by hand. DO THIS WITH IT UNPLUGGED!!!

Check for and clean off any carbon build up on the commutator

If none of the above I would suspect shorted turns in the armature windings, in which case introduce it to the bin or keep it for spares.

I know you wont do this, but some people at this stage would put it on ebay as UNTESTED, NO RETURNS.

Others may be familiar with this particular machine and be able to offer more advise.

HTH,

Roy.

EDIT... I type tooooo sloowwww!

I would think that the armature has been damaged by overload, and as Jason says the resultant sparking has eaten the original brushes and the same thing has occurred with the next set.
This is not recoverable IMHO. Replacement armatures could well be of similar cost to a new machine.
Either move up market to a quality brand or continue to buy cheap with 3 year warranty and keep the paperwork.

Bob

Thanks for the help gents. Into the bin it goes. I think I will move on to a quality brand as 9fingers suggests. Triton is looking good as most of my work will have it sitting under a router table ... am I on the right track?

Certainly used be the case but not sure now that Triton ownership has changed and maybe the products have too.

I've certainly heard that the original tritons are nasty to use hand held and so a table is a good way to use them but that does not necessarily make them the best in a table.

If you don't have a router lift in your table, then choosing a router that can readily be adjusted from above the table and also can change cutters from above would be a good choice.

I know one pro woodworker who has just bought a cheap and nasty macallister for his table and has kept the 3 year warranty proof on the basis that he expects it to fail and will either get a new one free or his money back. He is looking at it from a cost per year point of view and if it lasts more than 3 years (with as many free replacements as required) he is winning. - an interesting approach!

Maybe other will know what the new Tritons are like?

Bob

9fingers":1zhpm1ym said:
......... Maybe other will know what the new Tritons are like?

Bob

I've had the Tiriton MOF001 1400w router for a while and I'm am delighted with it - so well thought through. I could list all the features but it's easier on my fingers and better for you to read it here.

Short extract...
This is a beautifully-made and well-thought-out tool, that I have no hesitation in recommending. No matter how familiar you are with routers and routing, both Triton models have features that are unique, so a thorough read of the instruction manual is an essential first step!

RogerP":3ax694yv said:
9fingers":3ax694yv said:
......... Maybe other will know what the new Tritons are like?

Bob

I've had the Tiriton MOF001 1400w router for a while and I'm am delighted with it - so well thought through. I could list all the features but it's easier on my fingers and better for you to read it here.

Short extract...
This is a beautifully-made and well-thought-out tool, that I have no hesitation in recommending. No matter how familiar you are with routers and routing, both Triton models have features that are unique, so a thorough read of the instruction manual is an essential first step!

Roger, The key point is was this router made after Triton changed hands? I've not kept up to date on Triton but remember all the stock being sold off by the likes of B&Q a few years back and then the brand re-appearing after some changes in ownership.

Bob

Back