Router bits sticking in collett

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone have a foolproof method of removing router bits from the collett.
I have a trend T9 mounted in my router table and also use the CMT extention colletts in both 1/4 and 1/2 sizes and have been having a problem removing the bit from the collett in the extentions and also directly mounted in the router.
Have tried all the usual lubricants but have to resort to the screwdrvir and mallet most times to remove the bit.
Does anyone know something I don`t.

I just tap on the the collect with the back end of my router wenrch. before I loosen the the collect.

My Elu routers have a desin of nut/collet which when unscrewed, forces the collet to open and when first I got a Bosch router, I was baffled why the bit stuck. Someone on the wreck helped me out.

I now do similarly to Wood 1000's suggestion, except that I loosen the collet nut first then give the nut a couple of pretty firm raps on a flat, with the rather weighty spanner I use for the collet nut. Occasionally, I will need to give the nut a couple more whacks if the bit is not loose the first time.

I have never had a problem with a sticking router bit.I just continue loosening the collet nut until it frees the bit,about two full turns of the nut forces the collet apart.Now I will probably have every bit I use sticking like mad.

I was totally flummoxed when I got my Bosch because it gives the impression that you've losened the bit, but then you have to turn it some more and it "losens" again. Something to do with the design I presume, but gave me the screaming ab-dabs when I thought I had a router bit stuck in my nice new router... :shock:

From long experience of seized parts on tools (oo-er, missus), I find it often helps if you can twist as well as pull, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

Yes, think i've had that problem, although It didnt confuse, or make me worry - I just kept loosening it with the spanner.

Think, my Makita 3612CX does it, and same with my Trend T5.

sawdustalley":3lsbkkvx said:
Yes, think i've had that problem, although It didnt confuse, or make me worry - I just kept loosening it with the spanner.
Okay, so I worry easily... :oops: Although, in my defence, it was my first router and some time ago. :roll: Naturally the manual didn't mention it. :evil:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf
It is the type of collet. It is designed that way and you will find that most of the upmarket tools will work the same way. When you tighten the collet the nut is pressing on the top of the collet and forcing it down. When you start to loosen the collet the spanner is tight at first as you loosen the nut from pressing down on the collet then the nut becomes loose for a half turn or so. But the collet is still jammed into the socket because of its nicely machined taper. As you undo the nut a little more another part on the nut starts pushing on the underside of the collet and forces it out of the hole. This is when the nut feels like it has got tight again but it is just doing its job. If you look at your collets you will see a groove around the outside just under top. This is where it fits into the nut and why you must put it into the nut before putting the cutter into it. If you put the cutter into the collet you will not be able to put it into the nut as the collet needs to squash up to get past the lip on the inside of the collet.
If anyone is still awake thats about all there is to it really

John

Alf":3rj7xjhe said:
I was totally flummoxed when I got my Bosch because it gives the impression that you've losened the bit, but then you have to turn it some more and it "losens" again. Something to do with the design I presume, but gave me the screaming ab-dabs when I thought I had a router bit stuck in my nice new router... :shock:

From long experience of seized parts on tools (oo-er, missus), I find it often helps if you can twist as well as pull, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

I think this is usually due (on muy routers anyway) to the collet design using an external circlip to retain the nut and provide a surface for it to push against when loosening the collet nut. Sort a of a backlash

If only SDA! Unfortunately I spent most of today digging holes (for posts), concreting them in and drilling holes for the new decking I'm putting down. In a few weeks time I'll be doing the lounging so it should all be worth it :D ...I just hope the weather keeps up.

But at least my sliding mitre saw (Makita LS1013) got to see the sunshine for a change - bl**dy hard work lugging it out of the workshop, through the house to the back garden, but worth the effort (I couldn't imagine cutting all those peices with a hand saw).

The decking I'm making is in the shape of an octogan, so lots of 22.5 deg cuts (plus the odd 45 for the joists). The mitre saw really pays for itself at times like this....

Cheers,
Martin.

P.S. Apologies for going OT.

Back