Router bits for 42 pence each...!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
I see that Aldi are having one of their tool sales next week (Thursday 4th Oct), all cheap stuff but might be useful if your short of cash - like me :lol:

They are selling a router for £19.99 and I wonder what it is like. I bought a cheap router from B & Q years ago, (£24.99) a small red one - Power Devil. It has always been my first choice because it is small and light but the switch recently broke so now I can't switch it on.

In Aldi's sale they have a box containing 12 router bits for £4.99. That's 42 pence each so I wonder if they are any good - doubt it.

regards

Brian

These are not so much on 'sale' but a regular item stocked every few months.
I bought the 12 piece router set for £4.99 over 2 years ago.
When I first saw them in Aldi they were in the shop for over a month with few sold because Aldi did not stock a router until the following month by which time the cutters had sold out.
They are not of the quality required for daily use but for occasional use they are usefull.
I bought a number of sets for this reason.
They come in a wooden lock jointed box which includes two ½" - ¼" collett adapters so the ¼ shank cutters can be used in a ½" router.
As with most cheap tools from China, you pays your money and takes your choice.

I bought a set a couple of years ago. No problems so far.
If you're using them every day you'd want some better bits. But if you only want to use a roman ogee bit a couple of times a year, it doesn't make sense to buy a top quality bit.

Useful to have a selection of bits, then when they go blunt, you can chuck them away and if you've used it enough, decide to buy a better one.

Also, I believe the adaptor sleave is from 8mm to 1/4 inch. Well the set I have is anyway.

The most usefull set of cheap cutters I bought was a 50 piece boxed set from the Price Crash shopping channel.
These contain 4 or 5 sizes of the same shapes, radii etc plus a few shapes that may be needed once in a blue moon but would cost as much bought singly as the full set.
The only other cutters I am likely to use are a panel door set and corner beading bits.

Latest posts

Back