Router Bits Buying Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi all

Due to a weird turn of events, I now have a Triton TRA001 router (a surprise gift)
This is my first 1/2" router and have decided to use that instead on my to-be-built-router -table
But I don't have any 1/2" bits.

I don't need 28 different ones that I won't use ever. I only need the most used ones (Straight, Flush trim, Round-over, Chamfer and a 3/4" cutter, with an option of the type which does curved mouldings. The rest I can acquire as and when needed.

Once again, I am inundated with choices, but can't fathom where to start.
Help, please.

1. Is there a smaller set of good quality router bits with the profiles I have mentioned or is it a matter of picking one by one.
2. What type (construction / coating / style) is best for doing mortices etc
3. Best place to buy it
4. Is used market worth looking at?

Thank you in advance.

I have had some success buying used bits but you are safer buying new,I can recommend Wealden Router cutters as I use them for cutters I buy new,excellent service and not too expensive.

As Phil says, have a look at the Wealden catalogue below:
https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Ro ... ers_1.html

For my part I got a set from banggood for a very cheap price to cover the basics and to practice with. Then as I needed to I replaced these individually with high quality bits from wealden along with those not in the original set when I wanted them such as a panel raising set of a particular shape etc

hth

Not a lot of Router experience myself, but +1 for Wealden. Good/quick service, reasonable prices, and you don't need to buy sets either - just one-offs (or more) of whatever shapes & sizes you can find in their extensive catalogue (on line).

Usual disclaimers

+1 for buying the Trend set. I have actually found it great and very useful.
+1 also for Wealden.

I have bought used cutters in the past without incident.

I also have the Trend set. Bought it over 10 years ago. Probably abused about half of them during that time. Like others, I have bought specials from Wealden, for window profiles, in my case.

Another vote for Wealdon, they have a some Trend items in their clearance section which might be worth a look.

I have got a 1/4” collet as well as a half inch in my table router which gives you a greater range of cutters.

A few thoughts...

If you already have router bits with 8mm, 12mm or 1/4" collets, you may want to consider buying the matching collet for the Triton as these sizes (and possibly others) are available for the TRA001. If you plan on getting another router with a smaller collet at a later stage, you may also keep this in mind. Some specific profiles may also not be available in 1/2" size, but that's another issue.

I tend to get CMT router bits as quality is excellent. I usually get them directly from an Italian based vendor (mobiltecnica) which I found to be quite efficient and reliable. This vendor is also present on amazon and ebay, but at higher prices once shipping and handling is included (it also offers volume discounts when buying multiple router bits or other cutting tools in a single order).

I can't recommend a set of bits to buy in the 1/2" size, but I learned from experience that it's better to have a few good router bits than many poor ones or ones that remain unused. I can see the merit of a small starter kit (definitely no more than 10 router bits, and probably only 5-6) to get started though...

Latest posts

Back