Router Bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
My friends granddaughter wants a kitchen in her tree house just like the one i built for her mum. Alright it is only one cabinet with a sink in, but she seems happy enough.

As i wanted to use a smaller then normal cabinet door i couldn't use my spindle moulder, and so i set up the router table. The only trouble is everytime i try to run the raised panel the bit cuts a small piece and then drops below the table.
I have checked the collet which is fine and it is not allowing the bit to recede back into the router. I have also checked the plunge lever which appears ok.

Any ideas would be great?

Regards

Woody

Woody,

Woody":3rvhkrtj said:
My friends granddaughter wants a kitchen in her tree house just like the one i built for her mum

So you built a full size kitchen in a full size treehouse? :lol:

Seriously though- seems curious - what router is it? could it be anything to do with the router body rather than the collet?

Given your recent situation I would think hard about turning it on again until you know exactly why its happening! :shock:

Cheers

Tim

Tim i don't think that i have explained the problem properly. Obviously when cutting a raised panel it needs to be done in 2 or 3 passes and so when i set the router bit to take a certain amount off, it will cut so much of the panel and then the bit will drop below the table. Whether the plunge mechanism causes this to happen i do not know, but it seems to be working properly, and if it is working properly it should not allow this to happen.

I do not think that it has anything to do with the body because as it is fixed to the bottom of the table it cannot move.

The router is a Bosch GOF1300. As it happens i usually have a Dewalt625EK but Dawn had taken this around a clients house so i had to use the Bosch.

As i have said the plunge mechanism seems to be working alright. I even took it off the table to check it and all seems ok.
That said if the collet has not come loose and allowed the bit to fall back into the router, what else could it be but the plunge mechanism?

Could a router bit slip back into the the router without the collect coming loose. Or could the collect come just loose enough to let the bit slip but not enough for me to notice?

Any advice would be great.

Regards

Woody

Woody, think you need to determine which part is at fault: the plunge mech or the collet. Try it again and measure the distance from the bottom of the router body to the nearest reference point. Obviously if this distance changes it the plunge mech. And if not, it's the collet. Disassemble, clean and put back together.
If it's the router itself, a parts diagram might be handy.....can't think at the moment how you would cure that. Maybe oil/lube on the clamping mech.

Noel

Woody,

Sound like its dropping quite a bit so I would get the black fine marker out and put lines on any thing that might move. When it drops then check to which line is not where you left it, the Dave quick and dirty method. :oops:

Woody":1bfpiyui said:
Tim i don't think that i have explained the problem properly

No, I think you did - its just quite an odd thing therefore I was trying to think of things that are odd that may have happened.

If say a foreign body had got trapped behind the bit in the collet then the result you described would have happened once. Its the repeat thing that has got me.

cheers

T

Woody,

Ten to one it's the fine adjust vibrating and turning as you use the router. On this model, it adjusts the router body up and down even while the plunge is locked.

There is an indicator on the body of the router, which is a bit hard to see, that shows how much from a central position the fine adjust has been moved. A bit of duct tape over the knob may prevent it turning.

Woody,

Is the drop sudden or is it a gradual retreat below the table? If its the latter then Chris is likely to be right. If its the former then I'm still none the wiser.

Cheers

Tim

Johnelliott

So who's Dawn and why is she taking your DW router round to a client's house?
Sorry if i missed something

No, nothing to miss.
Dawn is my right hand "woman" and has been working for me since last year. She took the DW around to my clients house because she needed to cut some rebate's.

I have found the problem, which was down to the plunge lever. It seems to be ok until you run the router when it then works itself loose. I took Chris's advice and used duct tape which stopped this from happening.
I will take it to my local bosch agent and get them to have a look at it.

Thanks to you all for your advice.

Regards

Woody

Latest posts

Back