Router bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wanted to confirm if I am looking at the right router bits for a job, as I am going to buy a set which should have the 2 I need?

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 09.58.06.png

A - will use rebating cutter (or maybe even the 6.5 slot cutter as well?)
B - will use 6.5mm slot cutter

Home Office.jpg

Chees
E

I personally would not buy this set. The 4 bits with guide bosses will cause burning as they rub against your workpiece. Go for cutters that have proper bearings as guide followers. It's best to buy individual quality cutters to meet your immediate requirements. With these sets you purchase cutters which you never get round to using.
Brian

Yep, kinda of thought this as well after posting. I think I will go for just 2 bits now, the Axminster's axcaliber straight cutter 6.35mm for B and the 12mm to do A

I would just use a single cutter personally. It will have to be the smaller one and do it in a couple of passes.

You could do this with a circular table saw with a good cross cut blade,if you have one.

Is it a one off job?
A silverline special would be fine if so, a couple of quid from Toolstation. You are cutting both the rebate and the tongue so you can use imperial or metric whatever they have. The size is flexible to a degree too if they only have 8mm, etc.
As said, a saw blade could be used although for a flat bottomed cut the router would give a better finish (depending on the tooth configuration of the blade)

I was told/read before that if you want to use a straight cutter to make a rebate its good to use a cutter with a diameter larger than the width, but I guess either can work if done carefully right.

I would say its a job that probably will repeated over the years but initially it will be a one off bulk job.

And sadly I don't have a table saw yet just a plunge saw and router (and various other bits) but that will be the next investment in a few months. Yeah it does look a lot quicker and easier though once I get one :)

Back