Router bit query.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an extra long two flute cutter at 12mm, 1/2''. The longest one i can find is a 63mm. Is this the longest anyone does?! If not, where can i find one?!

Thanks!! :wink:

Hudson Carpentry":1dz5rd1b said:
I have never seen one.

What do you need it for? Would a collet extension be enough extra reach?

never come across a collet 'extension'!?! I am cutting ou a shape for a mirror but the wood is too thick for the cutter i have and need to get through to the other side! {from the same side, as the pattern is only on the front!}

Could you rout with your pattern halfway through and then use a 1/2 inch btm bearing guided cutter from the other side running on what you have first cut to complete the cut?

cheers

Jon

The thing is, the pattern is freehand so cannot get exactly the same on the other side!! {a little mistake i am learning from! which is great!} I think the bit that chippy advised is the only way...as i can only go through from the same side?!

The point that you might of missed is that with Jon's suggestion, the part you have already cut becomes the pattern for the second cut.

Bob

9fingers":jyw94crz said:
The point that you might of missed is that with Jon's suggestion, the part you have already cut becomes the pattern for the second cut.

Bob
Agreed, this is the way to do it. Cut have way through from the top using the existing pattern, turn the job over and then use a bottom bearing cutter to do the other half - Rob

I have a very long 2-flute 1/2" cutter from Wealden - 70mm if memory serves. It's awesome: excellent quality and does what it should and wasn't expensive either.

I used it mainly for planing in the router table (I now have a proper planer). I'm hoping you're doing this on a router table: as there is no way I would contemplate using it in a hand-held router for any task. 'Awesome' has several meanings ;-)

Bottom bearing is deffo the way to go. Not least because, in the event of an accident, the bearing is on the otherwise-sharp end. First preference, however, must be a bandsaw!

Cheers,

E.

I'm not completely understanding what your saying?!

This is what i have done so far,tell me if its clear or not??

sort out! 024 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• sort out! 024 - Copy.JPG
    sort out! 024 - Copy.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 153
Well the comment about the bandsaw is inappropriate for internal profile.

A bottom guided cutter has a ball race on the bottom and you use this, working from the otherside of the wood running the bearing against the shape that you have already cut.

Does that help?

Bob

Not really?!! I feel a little confused! When i say 'pattern' i didnt actually mean a template!! I meant, the pattern/shape is drawn on one side,freehand. I routered, hoping to come though the other side by just the face side. I have nothing to go by on the other side if i flip it over!??? Am i being a bit thick?!! haha!! I dont know?!

My initial first thought was the same with regards the bottom bearing cutter coming in from the other side and running on the previously cut edge, but I think the problem is that you can't come in from the other side as it is still solid and Melzy is in effect routing a really deep rebated section in the middle of that large board ultimately breaking through. There again I might have the complete wrong end of the stick!

Thats exactly right flounder!! I'm sure i mentioned at the beginning that the timber was too thick to go straight through??!!!

:lol: :mrgreen:

Melzy":20k2tr3l said:
Thats exactly right flounder!! I'm sure i mentioned at the beginning that the timber was too thick to go straight through??!!!

:lol: :mrgreen:

Nope! I didnt mention the thickness!! or much else really, just that i wanted a longer cutter!!
:lol:

Melzy":3koiamno said:
Hudson Carpentry":3koiamno said:
I have never seen one.

What do you need it for? Would a collet extension be enough extra reach?

never come across a collet 'extension'!?! I am cutting ou a shape for a mirror but the wood is too thick for the cutter i have and need to get through to the other side! {from the same side, as the pattern is only on the front!}

Yes I did mention it!! haha!!! :roll: :mrgreen:

I am having difficult expressing it any more simply.
From your photo you already have cut the outline you want but just not deep enough. Am I correct?
If so that becomes your template and you use the bottom guide cutter to cut the rest out.
Because the bearing is the same size as the cutter diameter, there will be little or no difference in the profile cut out.

Bob

Back