Router bit query.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But Bob, she can't cut from the other side as the wood is still in the way! Really you need to drill all the way through the board to make a hole that a bottom bearing cutter can fit through then work it out to the side so the bearing stops on the previously cut surface.

The only option, as far as I can see, is to drill - from the side you've already routed, a half inch hole in the routed section and right through the board. Then, as has been suggested, turn the board over, insert the router bit (same size as original but with a same size bottom bearing) through the hole you've drilled and set the depth of cut so the bearing is running on the previously routed part. The bearing will follow the previous cut line and the cuts should align.

Yaayyee!! I understand now!!! Flounder you have hit the nail on the head!! Thank you!! I shall drill the hole and go from there!!! Spot on! Ahhh! I feel quite relieved now!! I get it! haha!! Phew!!

studders":twptq31d said:
The only option, as far as I can see, is to drill - from the side you've already routed, a half inch hole in the routed section and right through the board. Then, as has been suggested, turn the board over, insert the router bit (same size as original but with a same size bottom bearing) through the hole you've drilled and set the depth of cut so the bearing is running on the previously routed part. The bearing will follow the previous cut line and the cuts should align.

And you hit the nail on the head too!! :)

ideally, you should cut out most of the shape you want with a jig saw/scroll saw/bandsaw/coping saw and use the router to tidy up the edges, you can then use a bearing guided bit from the other side to complete the cut. This way would be a alot quicker, safer and easier on the router.

Mark.

flounder":2z2ay5ky said:
But Bob, she can't cut from the other side as the wood is still in the way! Really you need to drill all the way through the board to make a hole that a bottom bearing cutter can fit through then work it out to the side so the bearing stops on the previously cut surface.

True I did not state that but I had assumed that would have been obvious when working from the otherside - which I did say

Having got the profile cut all the way through. The next step might be to use a rebate cutter - again from the back to make a rebate to support the glass.

Bob

9fingers":3ar0yiyv said:
flounder":3ar0yiyv said:

True I did not state that but I had assumed that would have been obvious when working from the otherside - which I did say

Having got the profile cut all the way through. The next step might be to use a rebate cutter - again from the back to make a rebate to support the glass.

Bob
Well, obviously not obvious enough, stroppy pants! Jees! I do actually know the rest of it, just that little part i got a little stuck on. I dont really need hoity toity come backs! just nice advice would suffice thanks!! :)

Melzy":h82d2tr3 said:
Yaayyee!! I understand now!!! Flounder you have hit the nail on the head!! Thank you!! I shall drill the hole and go from there!!! Spot on! Ahhh! I feel quite relieved now!! I get it! haha!! Phew!!
This is a really, really, simple and basic routing procedure which Bob9f, myself and others have explained more than adequately...glad now the penny seems to have finally dropped :wink: - Rob

my bad totally for not understanding the really really simple and basic procedure! Thanks for the help guys! Moocho appreciated!!

:lol:

Just get one of these and get on with it (hammer)

141407.jpg

:lol:

Melzy":1495g301 said:
9fingers":1495g301 said:
flounder":1495g301 said:

Bob
Well, obviously not obvious enough, stroppy pants! Jees! I do actually know the rest of it, just that little part i got a little stuck on. I dont really need hoity toity come backs! just nice advice would suffice thanks!! :)

I'm sorry you found my response hoity toity or stroppy. That was certainly not my intention when I set out to help.

Bob

Bob is neither hoity or toity nor stroppy. It might have read that way but I've read enough of his posts to know it wasn't meant that way.
I think an apology is due.

Followed by a damn good slapping with a wet Cod. :)

Edit.
I don't mean apologise and then slap Bob with a wet Cod. Thought I should just clarify that. :)

Hahaha!! I dont think i need to apolagise, i found it a little patronising!! {I may not understand what you try to write, bu im not at all stupid!!} But i now stand corrected and will not think this again!! And as for the slapping with a wet cod.....that was funny!! :lol:

Thank you again for all your help! I can't wait to get on with it at the weekend...when i have finished it, i shall put on a pic! :mrgreen:

Try searching for two flute straight milling cutters. At the same time spiral milling cutters will do the same, sometimes better, cutting and have the advantage of better chip clearance...bosshogg :)

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein (hammer)

woodbloke":3aertmb4 said:
Melzy":3aertmb4 said:
i, bu im not at all stupid!!}
...it would help though M, to check the keys you type :wink: - Rob

Haha!! Doh!! :roll: Yes!! I immediately noticed my mistake when your reply came up!! I am going to be under close observation now!! :lol:

Back