Router bit for sled on end grain plywood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geebee

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning everyone,
Super happy to be here, first post for me.

I'm currently working on an end grain plywood desktop, see below.
PXL_20210920_093204611.jpg

From the cutting of the strips to the glue up has left bits higher than others, probably varying up 4mm between highest and lowest sections. I have been looking at ways to level out the top and router sleds seem to be a popular choice. Most I have seen though have been used for solid wood planks. I'm erring on the side of caution before starting on this as I don't want to ruin it with tearouts.

Has anyone used a routing sled to flatten plywood endgrain? If so, can you recommend suitable bits? There seems a lot out there and I'm not sure which would work best for me.

Thanks in advance

I haven't used one on ply endgrain but I have used one on oak endgrain. The answer is that any new and fairly large (18mm plus) will do. The really important thing is to take it very slowly and to go around the edges clockwise, and slowly, as going quick and anti may lead to bits being pinged off the edges. It's crucial to avoid plucking bits out as they are very difficult to sand or plane out. My first go at this produced several areas with lines etc which were very visible after finishing.
Good luck!

Thanks for the info Peter.
I shall give it a whirl at the weekend, hopefully it all goes well

Call on a local cabinet shop in your area and see what they would charge to run it through their wide belt sander. No tear out and almost ready for a finish.

Pete

Back