Router bit for CNC cutting of mahogony?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've made an error and laid out the parts too closely together for the depth of bit I have.

I'm a metal worker. I know very little about wood, but I'm hoping to load up an 18mm sheet of mahogony onto the machine and cut parts out of it.

My placement was for the prototype parts, which I cut in 2mm alloy, with a 2.2mm bit. But the flute length isn't 18mm - which I'd overlooked.

My parts placement only has about 3.5mm clearence, so, what I'm hoping is that someone can advise me on the purchase of a bit less than 3.5mm dia with a greater than 18mm cutting length.

Bonus marks for advising on feed rates etc.

Again, I'm not pretending to know about woodwork!

Thank you.

You can certainly cut wood with metal bits, you can get deep cutting slot mills if your machine can go fast enough... got an air driven head? Actually that’s just likely to scorch, but I’ve seen a 2.2mm x 40mm ball-nose working on 6062, I still can’t quite believe it.

Do you mean 18mm mahogany or mahogany veneered board?

Aidan

Thank you. That top one from the list looks doable.

Pity they're the price that they are. I pay a fraction of that for my 1fl carbides, but that is from the states.

And, yes, actual mahogony. Former life was a school floor. Now glued into sheets, for re machining.

Thanks again,
Julian

If it’s solid and you can afford the time, nice sharp non-ferrous mills and a lot of passes to remove the bulk then a couple of finishing cuts would probably do you just fine. Wood will move more than you expect and for the avoidance of doubt, switch the coolant off, you wouldn’t think you’d need to say that, but there was this one time...

Aidan

Back