Router Bit/Collet Stuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

Established Member
Reaction score
I hear this is a fairly common issue, and I've looked at posts and blogs already, but I'm still in trouble.

I have got a 1/2" template bit stuck in my DeWalt DW625 table router. It's the only 1/2" I have, so it has it's own collet and was probably living in it in the box (I now realise this is bad). Now it is stuck in the router, bottomed out. I have undone the nut to the point where I can wiggle it up and down a little, so I believe it's completely loose. I've tried WD-40, whacking the bit down, gripping it between blocks to turn it, whacking it on the sides, levering under the bit until the router base bends (!!). At this point I'm willing to sacrifice the bit and collet if I can get the router back, but I don't know what else could help.

My last idea I haven't tried yet, is using the motor itself, and running it with the nut loose and forcing a hard cut. Dangerous, I know. But I'm not sure what else I can try.

Can anyone offer any tricks?

Some localised heat - not intensive - on the metal that's stuck to induce a little expansion in the collet which in turn can break any metal-to-metal bonding.
I certainly wouldn't use the motive power of the tool with a cutting edge attached...... Oh no! No, No, No!
that's going to be a hospital job!

I would find an open spanner, bigger than the stem and smaller than the head of the router bit and gently lever the bit out, moving the spanner around so that you are not putting all the pressure in one spot. you could make things easier by using a block of wood to lever against

If you are able to get a spanner under the bit as you say above, then a slide hammer is what you need.
That's a bar with claws that go under the shoulders of the bit and a captive weight on the bar to deliver a sharp outward blow to the other end of the bar which has an end that the weight can't get past.
Pulling won't work as well as a sharp blow.
Your local independent garage man will probably have just the tool.

I would try the heat trick, I have seen cutters get stuck in collets and this is usually down to mis assembly of the collet and nut. The collet should be snapped into the nut prior to the cutter being inserted, this should allow for east cutter extraction in most cases.

Hope you get your 625 back up and running.

I've had another thought, if there is some of the half inch shaft showing between the cutter and nut , you could use a half inch spanner to take up the slack space and simply unscrew the nut and allow the spanner ( or perhaps two spanners) to push the cutter out.

I just wanted to let you all know that the heat idea worked, and I'm not in hospital. It took me a while to get a torch, but I got it done this week.

The heat enabled me to twist it a bit with the help of some pliers, completely destroying the bit. Knowing it was moving I then used the biggest flat-head screwdriver I own to hammer down on the bearing and it slowly came free. Very relieved. Thank you all

Back