Router bit advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm finding it harder to locate the type of router bit I think I need than I expected.

I need to remove around 8mm of material from the underside of a table to recess some metal hairpin leg brackets. I've made up a template of the cut out for routing, but now not sure which bit I need.

I have a 1/4" shaft trim router I'm intending to use for this, so not a proper plunge router, but should be sufficient for such a shallow cut in softwood?

I'm looking for a straight spiral cutter with a bearing at the top of the blade - between blade and machine, but struggling to find what I think I need. Should I just run the smooth part of the bit against the template? Any advice appreciated!

Do you have a guide bush for your
router? That’s the better tool for it with a plain straight cutter
A

No, I only have a trim router currently, and no collar. As such I made my template 1:1 rather than oversized, but did that before bit shopping. Will have to rethink if I can't get a bit...

Amazing, thank you. That's no issue, I can lose the pilot hole under where the metalwork will go. I was envisioning something bigger, but that's much better.

For what it's worth, I needed a cove bit for my workshop cladding and it was going to be £15 or something for a branded one. For £60 I got the trend set with 30 odd bits including the one you're after for this I think.

I only had a couple of bits so it made sense to me. Many might never get used and some will wear out. But they can all produce a result to give you options. If you use one a lot then buy the more expensive ones.

Edit :scrub that. On looking at it on amazon it doesn't have the one you want in it.

Just having a look now, all the sets seem to only have bearings at the wrong end for what I need. I got a set of generic Chinese bits with the router and have the same issue, all coves and round overs and trimmers.

It's ordered now anyway, I got the 12mm deep cutter so it's a little more flexible, but this is a specific job I expect to do a fair amount of, so am haply with it...

This sort of thing will come up over and over again during your woodworking, it may be an idea to get a bush set, I managed to attach the Triton base for the bush's to a 1/4" trim router with a little bit of work, I am sure you could do the same.

If you're trim router has a round base make up a new template so the whole router fits in.

Pete

Back