Router Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
OK so this is part two (or three actually) of my designs for my shop, this particular one is designed to complement my main bench (see Workbench Design ) and the main features are: -

1. 865mm height (shown here without castors which add 72mm)
2. 600x600 work surface
3.100x100 dog hole pattern, with edge of holes 50mm from sides - this means that when two benches are connected the 100mm spacing is retained
4. the small grooves shown on the top are for 4mm petal pins (might make these bigger) which will slot into the groove and into the dogholes on two units so pin them together at the correct angle
5. the t-track runs the full length so that the unit can be connected to either end of the workbench and still have access to slot the fence on
6. shown here with the UJK plate and Triton router
7. a few of the components are 1mm out at present.
8. the space underneath the router is meant to house a small vacuum for easy connection

Note that some minor refinements took place after I'd taken the second and third photos.

Router Table With Legs.png
Router Table Top View.png
Router Table Top Under.png

Only thing I'd say is don;t worry about the spacing between this and the main bench as you'd have to perfectly align one to the other and secure it in place for it to be useful anyway.

Looks good. May I ask what the vertical surfaces is for on a router table? I'm intrigued if you use any router jigs on that.

Last edited:
shown here with the UJK plate and Triton router
What is your final intention for the router, plate combination? Is it a fixed plate or lifter? I know the Triton can be adjusted from above because thats what I have been using but now I want better incremental control and because I already have the Triton router I am looking at going for the Jessem prestige lifter to deliver this level of control. If you search on these forums for a topic called "UJK router lift needs avoiding " you will find further info.

Looks good. May I ask what the vertical surfaces is for on a router table? I'm intrigued if you use any router his on that.

It’s because the table is effectively an extension of my main work bench (see separate thread) which has the same panel.

I’m designing the units to be as multi-function as I can to make sure that all space is utilised as best possible, so whilst my main bench is quite small at 1200x600, the surface area can be extended by connecting other units when required.

You could secure it to the neighbouring benches with a clasp.

Or with a side in French cleats

Or with a plate and a wing nut / knob?

Just a thought

Cheers James

What is your final intention for the router, plate combination? Is it a fixed plate or lifter? I know the Triton can be adjusted from above because thats what I have been using but now I want better incremental control and because I already have the Triton router I am looking at going for the Jessem prestige lifter to deliver this level of control. If you search on these forums for a topic called "UJK router lift needs avoiding " you will find further info.
The triton was selected because of the ability to adjust height from over the table, although obviously the design means it’s pretty easy to access the router underneath as well.

The use of UJK plate was mainly as an example, obviously it is pretty easy to simple change it to any other one.

I’ve read the thread and I figure that as a hobbyist I probably have the time to tinker with manual settings and not be too worried if they’re marginally out or it takes me half an hour to mess about. Luckily, time is not money for me. That doesn’t mean I’d never get an automatic lift, but at least my table plan is already built to accept the UJK one!

You could secure it to the neighbouring benches with a clasp.

Or with a side in French cleats

Or with a plate and a wing nut / knob?

Just a thought

Cheers James

Yup many ways of doing it but a one piece metal fixing seems quite easy even if I have to get them custom made. The proposed solution means that the holes line up even if the rest of the surfaces aren’t quite accurate.

Do you only intend to have dust extraction above the table on the fence?

The original design had the router contained within a box that had under table dust extraction, it would be fairly easy to make this add-on, but for the time being yes I'll just be relying on building a fence with extraction.

The use of UJK plate was mainly as an example, obviously it is pretty easy to simple change it to any other one.

Becareful, you are probably already aware but their are some variation in plate sizes, once you have made such a nice looking table you want a size that suits your end wishes. I began just like you but seem to have grown out of my current setup and want better height adjustment, the worry here is that one thing leads to another and with decent height adjustment I might start looking at fences, ones with better positioning such as the Incra .

Have you considered the Incra 7518 plate its pre drilled for the Tritons including the winder hole, 10mm solid ali with magnet fixed insert plates and the standard American size which means you have plenty of options if you ever wanted to upgrade to a lift.

I hadn't no but that's a lovely looking plate. I guess the gold fits in with my Valchromat colour scheme too.

The plates are marginally different in size so I can't see a problem.

Becareful, you are probably already aware but their are some variation in plate sizes, once you have made such a nice looking table you want a size that suits your end wishes. I began just like you but seem to have grown out of my current setup and want better height adjustment, the worry here is that one thing leads to another and with decent height adjustment I might start looking at fences, ones with better positioning such as the Incra .

Well true indeed, but I suppose I could simply fill in the router plate area and repurpose it for something else!

I hadn't no but that's a lovely looking plate. I guess the gold fits in with my Valchromat colour scheme too.

The plates are marginally different in size so I can't see a problem.

Valchromat is a great material, we have an MDF template for people who are making up their own tops if you go down the route of a standard plate size.

OK so a few design tweaks later and this is what I'm now aiming at. I've bought the router, and will go with the Incra plate (I like the insert that sits under the grub screws to stop them digging into the wood), and Incra track, which now won't run the whole way across the table but instead terminate in two recesses. I think this solution looks neater anyway and easier if the bench is against a wall etc. Since my main workbench project is waiting for parts, I'll crack on with this now.

Router Table Incra Short Track Version.png

Nice design Bill. Given that the Triton has a plastic dust port will you be splitting the dust extraction between the router and fence? If so what will you use as a Y piece? I'm building a temporary table for my TRA001 so want to make sure I get no dust build up.

Nice design Bill. Given that the Triton has a plastic dust port will you be splitting the dust extraction between the router and fence? If so what will you use as a Y piece? I'm building a temporary table for my TRA001 so want to make sure I get no dust build up.

My initial thoughts were just to have fence extraction, and with my opting not to take the switch cover off, I'm not sure how much of an issue dust will be as the reviews suggest that the unit is pretty robust in keeping dust out.

I'm planning to keep the vacuum under the router bench so adding a second hose wouldn't be an issue but I haven't looked at potential solutions.

This morning I found out how much experience counts. Cutting all the components for my workbench took hours and hours. I had to figure out all sorts of stuff, and doing it on the floor was a nuisance. This time, I still did it on the floor but I was prepared. Easily under a couple of hours to get the ply board down into strips lengthways, and then each strip into components.

This time I left everything overlength so I can trim it down as needed once glued up, rather than cutting everything first and then glueing. Since there's significantly less part this time I'm hoping it'll be quite a speedy build.

My initial thoughts were just to have fence extraction, and with my opting not to take the switch cover off, I'm not sure how much of an issue dust will be as the reviews suggest that the unit is pretty robust in keeping dust out.

I'm planning to keep the vacuum under the router bench so adding a second hose wouldn't be an issue but I haven't looked at potential solutions.
That's reassuring and sounds like a plan so and I'll do the same, it can always be modified if it becomes an issue.

Back