Router Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today I got most of the way through getting the legs done. Unlike the workbench which had legs/base/worktop as three separate sections, this one will just have two, as most of the base components need to be connected to the worktop during construction and then dropped onto the leg section at the end.

My main concern is getting heights correct, luckily with the way it fits together I can make adjustments easily using shims or just skimming a mm or two off the crossbeams that slot into the top of the legs.

Tomorrow I'm planning on glueing up the two leg sections and then the next day hopefully connecting them together. My timelines always slide though, at least there's no rush since I don't have the router plate anyway.

Leg sections now getting glued up. The top is just a spacer to keep the other end the correct distance apart. I measured out the correct dimensions of the finished sections onto the plywood and drew around them, then checked the diagonals. Then I just knew that if the outer edges of the sections fitted onto the lines I drew, they were as good as square. Saved constantly checking diagonals and tinkering with them. Seems to have worked quite well. I've got the components cut that will join these two together, so that's tomorrow's job.

IMG_9186.jpg

That gap is because I managed to cut the piece a bit short, I'll just stick a piece on to fill it later.

:ROFLMAO: Looking forward to seeing this finished so I can see what you did wrong and make my own! Made a jig to route some dados the other day, put the flippin router in and the base was too wide!

More glueing up today.

IMG_9191.jpg

You'll notice that the lower rails are oriented differently to the ones further up I did this because it looks nicer with the faces and edges matching. Actually it's because I drilled the pocket holes in the wrong side. I can cover up the lower ones with a shelf.

I've started doing the Valchromat top. My tracksaw brilliantly can't reach 45 degrees so I'm using the bandsaw which is absolutely bang on, and I'll tidy it up carefully using a block plane with a lot of guides and marks to makes sure the cut stays straight.

Before you try the bandsaw, have you considered putting a thin board under one edge of the guide rail to increase the angle for the track saw?

Before you try the bandsaw, have you considered putting a thin board under one edge of the guide rail to increase the angle for the track saw?

Such an incredibly simple idea that had obviously not crossed my mind!! I will investigate that option tomorrow.

Looking great Bill. How much did the Valchromat run you in the end? and how have you planned to use the offcuts? Are you about to get a Villa themes knife block? lol

Looking great Bill. How much did the Valchromat run you in the end? and how have you planned to use the offcuts? Are you about to get a Villa themes knife block? lol

Each sheet was about £90 inc VAT, cutting was about £20 and delivery £55.

Not sure about offcuts, might use them to make the fence for the router.

Lots of glueing up this weekend. The base is finished so I'm now working on the top. Looks nice from a distance, as much of anything I try to make does....

IMG_9205.jpg

The mitred join is alright-ish. I tried to aim for getting the angle right even if it left a gap, figuring I can fill the gap in using scraps and sawdust later on if it really bothers me.

IMG_9202.jpg

So it is 90 degrees? YES!

IMG_9203.jpg

aaaaaaand no.

IMG_9204.jpg

I can see what's happened as this strut is meant to touch the leg, it does at the other end which is registering 90 degrees.

IMG_9206.jpg

So the answer would be to try and cramp this together and glue it up, although I suspect that'll put some terrible strain on somewhere else so I might have to try it very gently to see if it works.

If it doesn't well, it's not a million miles out and the front is only an extension to the main bench if I need to prop up pieces longer than 1.2m. Probably won't happen much.

The next thing that needs doing is the last part of the frame that connects to base to the top. That's currently glued up and drying. I need to shellac the base before I do much more construction work.

Last things to do will be: -
1. fit the track and router insert plate (Incra)
2. drill the MFT holes (probably Parf system since I need it for bench)
3. apply a suitable finish to the valchromat
4. make a router fence (got a nice simple design from internet that I'll tinker slightly with)
5. rout hundreds of pieces of scrap ply as practice

Today the next stage parts arrived. Incra router plate with aluminium insert to support the grub screws from digging in, three lengths of incra t-track (2 for the fence to slide along and one on the fence itself to fit accessories such as feather boards), and the parf system to put the dog holes in.

It's been too cold to put the shellac on - it's not possible to bring the thing inside to dry either, so really got no idea when I'll be able to do that task.

Might get a length of mitre track as I've seen a really nice fence on Banggood. It's one of those things I can do later on if I feel like it I suppose.

Feels good to see the finishing line, especially now the workbench is so close to completion too.

I cocked up doing one of the grooves with the router today, oops. Luckily it's on the front and doesn't matter that much. I might repair it at some point since I have plenty of scraps of valchromat.

The dog holes are all done, just waiting for the router bit so I can do the recess for the plate and the grooves for the track.

Back