Router as a bobbin sander ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
While lying here in my basket, chewing on a boneio, a thought has entered my mind, a rare event if ever there was one but I have a set of drum sanders with 6mm shanks, could I safely use these with my table mounted router to make a bobbin sander ?

Dog
Never tried it but I'd be doubtful that it would work very well, the sandpaper needs time to cut, or it clogs and burns.
Most routers are designed to work at much higher spees than sanding machines. Even my variable speed one only goes down to 8000 rpm. Most bobbin sanders trundle round at much lower than that. Think of sanding on a lathe, top speed 2000 rpm. Drill press sanders less than that.
I think you are akling for trouble, I'm afraid.

Sorry to rain on Sundays Bright Idea.

Cheers
Steve

Ditto.
Go to plan B.

Noel

Mmm I have in the past run a flap wheel at the lowest speed setting in an old broken router with some success, the majoe downside being the amount of fine dust thrown up into the air.
A flap wheel is different to a bobbin in that the clogged and worn areas are removed/worn away during use. Whereas a bobbin is not.

Worth a thought though

Bean

Bean,

Your braver than me! #-o Just the thought of running an unbalanced flap wheel at 8,000 rpm makes me look for the tin hat. :whistle:
I have some cheapish sanding drums and the vibration in the drill press is not a problem but I don't think the balance is up to the higher rpm. The mass of the drum is quite high as well, if it did get a wobble on it would break away very quickly, don't want to think about where its going or what its doing on the way. 8-[ :sick:

Dave its not as bad as it sounds, especially when you realise i carried it out freehand :shock: Its certainly no worse than using a die grinder.

Bean

Well the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not that I ate the router, but armed with full face mask and heavy duty welding gloves I tried my idea. The sanding sleeve lasted approx. ten seconds and then flew off in all directions, the rubber drum took on the look of an alien rubber blubber monster and I felt it was time to switch off both the router and my thoughts for the sake of prolonging my life :lol:

How about fitting a pulley wheel to a router? :lol: :lol: :twisted: :evil:

Anyone tried that one?

On a router table of course!!

Hi Dog,
I'm wondering if I can get to the end of this post without typing the words Told You So. It would appear I can't :)

If you want a cheap and simple solution can I suggest the following as a better alternative on all fronts:

Mount an electric drill in a clamp. Wolfcraft used to do one, IIRC, to turn a drill into a lathe. If you can mackle it up so it operates vertically, so much the better, and then you can build a sanding table around it.

Alternatively you could buy a bobbin sander, I have the Jet and would recommend it.

Glad you survived to tell the tale. Did you get sent to bed without any supper?

Cheers
Poorly-eyed Steve, feeling sorry for himself.

Bean

Woe, woe and thrice woe.

I've scratched my eye. Can't wear my contact lens, so the world looks weird (even more than usual). I did drive a bit today, but it wasn't very easy. No binocular vision and very little at all on the right. Too dodgy, won't do it again.

Doc says 2-3 weeks, but I've done this before and they've always said a week or so. So I can't get on with this veneering, or anything else much that requires being able to see properly. I can't risk putting it back too soon. THese corneas used to belong to other people, so I try to look after them, (not that I'm expecting them to come back to claim them...).

Still, better today than yesterday, so moving in the right direction, eh?

All get well bottles should be sent to...

Cheers
Steve

Sorry to hear that Steve. a bottle is on its way.................Unfortunatly the postie got very prissy about it, so I had to empty it first hic ........hic

Bea...hic....N

Steve Maskery":1727xgbo said:
Glad you survived to tell the tale. Did you get sent to bed without any supper?

Hi Steve, sometimes you gotta try these things even if you're told it's not a good idea :wink: :D

I did get sent to bed without supper but being a resourceful K9 I'd hid a tin of Spillers under my pillow for just such ocassions :wink:

Back