router advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveg20

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first router and totally confused by what to get. I've read the forums here and also read various reviews but none the wiser.

Initially I want to just use it on small projects, round overs etc but then move onto doing some larger things and being able to use a router table. The choices I'm looking at and reasoning are as follows :-

Triton JOF001 - I was thinking this could possibly be used handheld and also later used in a table, advantage of being able to take 1/2 inch bits.

Katsu - Use this to get me started and buy something larger at a later date once I know better what my requirements are.

Regards,
Dave.

Hi welcome to the forums, a lot of knowledge and experience around here, or so it is rumoured.

Well routers, a big topic with no simple outcome and really depends on what you will want from it one day. Get yourself a book on routing and it will give you the terminology and basics from which you can take off. For table use you want a 1/2 router as it will do anything asked of it within reason and will depend on your budget, it is cheaper to get it right first time rather than trying several different routers to get there. There has been several threads on this subject and some amazing setups. You have the Dewalt 625, Triton TRA0001 and for the ultimate setup the AUK motor in a lift plate from AUKTools for tables.

Handheld, again small mouldings etc a 1/4 router will do the job, I use a Bosch with plunge base and bushes. The 1/2 Dewalt 625 is a nice handheld router and although larger will be capable of doing a wider range of work.

As for cutters, Wealdon tools and Infinity come to mind, again decent cutters will make life easier and last longer.

Your budget and ambitions would really help, get something not just for now but thats also more future proof.

Hi and a very warm welcome to you Dave. Given that for the most part you will initially be using whichever machine you get freehand and considering the cost, I would suggest you get the Katsu. This is so that you get to know and understand the basics of using a router safely and to learn that machines limitations. You will discover that you can do 80% of what you initially want very easily with this size of machine but will learn the importance of talking a little bite with a bit at a time to get good results. the other 20% will just take a little more planning and time. Then when you are ready move to a larger machine. I have all 3 Triton models and also have 3 katsu. 2 Katsu have dedicated bits fitted for my most frequent jobs and the other is fitted to a small homeshop made router table. My Triton JOF has a 1/4" collet fitted and is for small to mediums sized jobs freehand. I have a MOF with a 1/2" fitted for rally big freehand stuff and have a TRA fitted to my main router table. But remember all the Triton routers have the ability to fit 1/4; 1/2, 6mm 8mm and 12mm collets.

Regarding bits, while a big set of many from Bannggood etc is tempting, it is best to buy the best bit you need for that actual job. so would suggest you buy each one individually from places like Whealden's. and build you collection that way. though saying that i did start with a mega selection set as it was cheap and just replace as needed with quality

hth

Thanks for all the the advice. Unfortunately my budget will not stretch to a DeWalt at the moment. I'm trying to find the middle ground with not buying something totally unsuitable but also not spending a lot. I think the Katsu probably is a good starting point.

Good advice on the bits, the problem is I don't really know what ones i will want in terms of profile and sizing so I may go with a cheap set then buy decent ones of the type I'm going to use.

The Katsu would seem to be aimed at trimming and light duty work rather than for general purpose routing. Many years ago when in your situation I bought a Trend T4. I have used it to cut out sink and hob openings to making trim for cabinets and rebates for door hinges among other tasks. I only recently purchased a 1/2" router for a specific job where larger cutters were required. My advice would be to buy something like the Trend and as you say, buy a bigger machine later on when you have a need for it. Also 1/4" router cutters are generally a lot cheaper than the 1/2" sizes, and where possible buy the best cutters you can afford, as in my experience cheap ones often give poor results and do not last.

I see the Trend is now available for less than I paid all those years ago...

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/tr...MIuP_j-t-T8AIVhO_tCh1ntA0oEAQYBSABEgIJtvD_BwE

Trim routers... does anyone know the diameter of the

Katsu hand trim router or equivalent (Dewalt etc.), I need one for my CNC, the one on it is 68.5mm (2.69”) but it's finally died (Porter Cable 3102) but when you ask at Screwfix or ToolStation is like you just asked what the distance is from the moon to Jupiter!

Katsu hand trim router or equivalent (Dewalt etc.), I need one for my CNC, the one on it is 68.5mm (2.69”) but it's finally died (Porter Cable 3102) but when you ask at Screwfix or ToolStation is like you just asked what the distance is from the moon to Jupiter!
Hi the diameter of the Katsu motor unit is 65 mm. The model reference is - MOD NO. 101748. The power input is rated at 710W.

The dewalt is 69.05
980A04B7-6659-4895-9E0C-31CA061F0E55.jpeg

It look's like the Makita is also 68mm so I have two options... just need to try and find a second hand one to keep thje cost down

I have just bought a Katsu plunge base for my superb Makita RT0700C trimmer.
A bad decision: the quality of the Katsu is dreadful.
I had read that that might be a problem but ignored advise to save (several) pennies . . .
It does work but you would think the bit that matters, the plunge mechanism, could be made
to plunge smoothly.

Well routers, a big topic with no simple outcome and really depends on what you will want from it one day. Get yourself a book on routing and it will give you the terminology and basics from which you can take off. For table use you want a 1/2 router as it will do anything asked of it within reason and will depend on your budget, it is cheaper to get it right first time rather than trying several different routers to get there. There has been several threads on this subject and some amazing setups. You have the Dewalt 625, Triton TRA0001 and for the ultimate setup the AUK motor in a lift plate from AUKTools for tables.

Please can people recommend some books on routing to cover general operation, basics and techniques. If it is relevant I am more interested in using a router as a functional rather than a creative tool. Rebates, joints etc, rather than patterning and shaping.

Thanks

Please can people recommend some books on routing to cover general operation, basics and techniques. If it is relevant I am more interested in using a router as a functional rather than a creative tool. Rebates, joints etc, rather than patterning and shaping.

Thanks

WOODWORKING WITH THE ROUTER by Bill Hylton is a good source of information.

Back