Router advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buy this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/101748-Ele...dchild=1&keywords=katsu&qid=1614155369&sr=8-5(a lot of people have it, it's great)

these router bits

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yakamoz-Pa...ck+bearing+template+bit&qid=1614155433&sr=8-5
make one of these to make your template with

https://www.google.com/search?q=rou...ECBAQBA&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=y3wtuCGpgHVGGM
use your template. superglue and masking tape trick to hold it down.

because you've cut the holes already you can plunge the router there instead of trying to plungcut with a fixed base.
Hello again Novocaine (got the spelling this time, apologies for before), thanks for that, think I will definitely try the cheap and cheerful option I put up, as after I bought a big 1400w router and returned it already, as mentioned I am trying to find the smallest, lightest one, also most cost effective. To be perfectly honest I was hoping that someone who is fairly old skool would know of a hand tool that does the job of a router or close to it. Suppose though that the old folks were lucky enough to work with proper hard wood which they just chiselled away, which is why I mentioned it being a sort of art form earlier in the thread. I see that there has been another post after mine about a project almost identical to yours.
However, you are right in suggesting a trusted and tried tool so thanks for the suggestion.
What do you think of this one?
Admittedly I have never bought from these guys and have heard stories, bad ones so unsure...
https://www.wish.com/product/5fed44...=true&source=related_products&share=mobileweb

the real makita is 4-6 times that price. run away from that as fast as possible.

the reason I'm suggesting the Katsu is that it is of a known quality (I love mine and use it all the time)
the knock of makita and the red router shaped object you've linked to aren't or worse are known to be carp (no rear bearing in the red one and known to eat itself after one job). you've got a chunk of steel and carbide spinning at a few thousand RPM, I've given you the cheapest viable option, trust me, I'm a skin flint. oh and the katsu is the same size as the two you've posted.

if you want to do an accurate job, it starts with tools of an acceptable quality, scrimp on a Cumquats router and you'll regret it.

how did they do it with hand tools? they didn't, there was no reason to, this is a modern design, if you want to struggle with hand tools then a decent chisel is the answer.

the real makita is 4-6 times that price. run away from that as fast as possible.

the reason I'm suggesting the Katsu is that it is of a known quality (I love mine and use it all the time)
the knock of makita and the red router shaped object you've linked to aren't or worse are known to be carp (no rear bearing in the red one and known to eat itself after one job). you've got a chunk of steel and carbide spinning at a few thousand RPM, I've given you the cheapest viable option, trust me, I'm a skin flint. oh and the katsu is the same size as the two you've posted.

if you want to do an accurate job, it starts with tools of an acceptable quality, scrimp on a Cumquats router and you'll regret it.

how did they do it with hand tools? they didn't, there was no reason to, this is a modern design, if you want to struggle with hand tools then a decent chisel is the answer.
Can't argue with you there for sure. Good tools are an asset, was just a bit dubious as I never heard of the Katsu brand before. Really thought the so called Makita one from wish was actually a Makita, didn’t know it was a knock off (how is that legal btw).
So in this case, as you seem to definitely know what you are talking about, I will go for the Katsu. Thanks for the link too, luckily I already bought the router bits from toolstation, so all good on that front, for individual pieces they are by far the most cost effective.
On another note though, a while back I tried a park side circular saw, it was part of their 20v system, and heard some bad things prior, I now have the full set as they are awesome, so I know that will g a slave to big brands is not always a win.
Will keep you guys posted when I receive my new Katsu router...

Parkside stuff is fine for what we do, I'm by no means a brand Peach, most of my tools are on the cheap but viable side of the list as they don't make me money, when I was using them to make money it made sense to buy branded purely for the warranty, if parkside and the lidl return policy had been around then I'd quite likely have gone that route for tools I didn't use often.

how is selling a knockoff makita legal, it isn't, but then it's wish and china, where copyright and patent don't exist and you have no real recourse when it craps out. at least with the katsu (a copy although somewhat different mechanically of a makita) you are covered to an extend by amazon.

other bonus, if you have prime, it will be with you tomorrow, not in 10 months time along with a bill from customs.

one more little bit of advice, little passes with the router, especially when making your template. 1-2mm max cut depth. if you aren't confident plunge cutting, drill a hole big enough for your bit to pass through somewhere in the circle so you have a place to lower your bit and start/finish at.

also pay attention to which direction you are moving the router in, climb cutting (moving against the direction of the bit) can be somewhat hairy and make the router jump about.

good luck.

Thanks once again Novocaine. Yes the Lidl warranty has changed I suppose, as I started buying their 20v system in 2017 when it was first introduced, and immediately I had an issue with a battery not holding charge and Lidl UK were as helpful as a second hand condom. I did however contact LIDL in Germany who then sent me e replacement in a few days, direct from Germany. I boiled that down to they didn’t want to tarnish the reputation of a new brand they were planning to sell for years to come, and this makes sense as they are still selling this range 4 years later.
Thanks for your advice also on Wish. To be perfectly honest, I never had much to do with them, knew they existed but this was the first time I was considering buyin from them, had no idea about no copyright laws existing in China, that’s bad! Struggling to believe how the international community lives with this, but will leave it there.
Now about this template, damn I have been getting in around now from work this week, and live in a flat so don’t want to kill the person living below me, so realistically I am going to plan to get this done at the weekend.
I had an idea you could possibly shed some light on. The link above that was sent regarding a Milwaukee cutting tool, is I think only meant for softer materials ie not wood. I do have a fair bit of Perspex at home, would this suffice as a template? As I still want to buy this tool even though it can’t be used on wood/ mdf.
With regards to the router direction, yes you are right as I did see a number of vids on YouTube and they all mention that unanimously, just wanted to say thanks so much for the hands on advice you’ve given so far, it really is appreciated.
Will update as I go along, think I have what I need to proceed for now...

You have a better tool for the job on its way to you already. The router is the perfect tool to make the template. Hell if the circle isnt to big it already has the jig for it, its the metal bracket with the edge follower turned backwards so you can put a screw through the hole.

Heres a good version but for what you need you could do it with a few holes in a bit of ply wood if needed.

I think you are overcomplicating it im afraid. Step back and think before acting on impulse.

Also, that circle cutter is great for holes in plaster board and next to useless for anything else, don't waste your money.

I have this and very happy with it

Great Value Product

ae235

ae235

ae235

ae235

ae235

ae235

Bosch

BOSCH GKF600 600W ¼" ELECTRIC PALM ROUTER 240V

I have this and very happy with it

Great Value Product

ae235

ae235

ae235

ae235

ae235

ae235

Bosch

BOSCH GKF600 600W ¼" ELECTRIC PALM ROUTER 240V
Hey Segivia
Thanks for this, have spotted this and a big fan of anything Bosch, but tbh honest way out of my price range, as I will be using it for DIY. To be honest, if I was going to outlay that sort of money, would opt for a proper router and just do a whole lot of practicing. Was actually considering this bad boy:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-POF-...56&hvtargid=pla-579180014792&psc=1&th=1&psc=1But admittedly Novocaine convinced me to go for the Katsu trimmer, if anyone can suggest a similarly priced item, I might consider :)
Mind you thanks for the suggestion!

Hello all, and thanks for all the advice so far. After much deliberation I decided to go with the cheaper trimmer considering how often I will use it, mind you it’s done the job well so far so the reviews I mentioned were valid.
I made a jig and used it successfully, in fact made two while I had the Perspex out. Please see pictures below on progress so far...

Attachments

• A07DC1AD-C575-42ED-9277-0A64034DB676.jpeg
    A07DC1AD-C575-42ED-9277-0A64034DB676.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 12
  • 39271F1D-CE10-4D66-A269-8192792C7576.jpeg
    39271F1D-CE10-4D66-A269-8192792C7576.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 3DAE38F4-F2E1-4725-92A6-1DF2E406C324.jpeg
    3DAE38F4-F2E1-4725-92A6-1DF2E406C324.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2810A310-C4DF-469F-9D35-091A9E30D229.jpeg
    2810A310-C4DF-469F-9D35-091A9E30D229.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 6F43BD00-84BC-441E-A245-F87A5AF2127D.jpeg
    6F43BD00-84BC-441E-A245-F87A5AF2127D.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 13
Hello again everyone
Gosh it’s been ages but finally finished them. Just wanted to post a few pre cleaning and final polishing pics and give a big shout out to all of you guys who so kindly took the time to advise me. 8198F9CC-5173-4854-AA5A-0C610909A039.jpeg6D527BAC-239E-4CFB-B07F-9EE64BB09480.jpeg
8198F9CC-5173-4854-AA5A-0C610909A039.jpeg
6D527BAC-239E-4CFB-B07F-9EE64BB09480.jpeg
2C007263-BC0D-49DC-A6FC-49D1D8C3BB73.jpeg

just a few more. Start the next project this afternoon!

Attachments

• B8C04BDC-6E2C-417C-A402-EFDD9060F287.jpeg
    B8C04BDC-6E2C-417C-A402-EFDD9060F287.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 1E5CEC67-F98B-42ED-83BF-0F10BFD7EAC2.jpeg
    1E5CEC67-F98B-42ED-83BF-0F10BFD7EAC2.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 6
Back