Routalift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Routalift and making my own router table. Does anyone have any comments - good or bad!

Regards

Hello and welcome to the forum ( I am new here also)

I am not aquainted with "routalift"

I made my router table and used this lift http://www.woodpeck.com/precisionrouterlift.html

I am sold on it. Using a 7518 Porter Cable router, you can change bit above table. (good thing) You can also raise the bit .001 at a time if needed.
What ever lift you use, I wish you good luck with the building of the table.
I think it is worth the doing.

Travis

I'd just buy the triton and stick in a normal table. Just as good.

I can't speak personally about the Routalift but I will say that anyone who has a router table and does not use a good quality, accurate router lift like the Woodpecker models or equivalent, is really missing a huge aid to accuracy and ease of use.

My "Plungelift" from the Woodpeck outfit works wonderfully well on my DW625 (springs removed). Ideally, I would like one of the twin column lifts with a fixed base router but then if I had that what would I have left to aspire to?

Thanks everybody for info on Rout R Lift. The Woodpeck looks a well engineered bit of kit. I'll have to find out if my "cheapy" Silverline router will fit (this might be the excuse for buying something decent). On the question of routers, are American style fixed routers better than plunge type when fitted to a lifter? Thanks for a warm and informative welcome.

Jim

Gower":1129wp5x said:
On the question of routers, are American style fixed routers better than plunge type when fitted to a lifter?

I am sure it would be better to use that type of router. If they were more easily available in the UK I expect I would have one by now

The problema with using a plunge router in a router lift are
1) the plunge mechanism itself takes up valuable space, keeping the collet further than necessary from the table.
2) the mechanical connection between router table and cutter is less rigid
3) if the punge mechanism of baseplate and columns isn't dead square then the cutter is never going to cut at right angles to the router table, unless awkward shimming is carried out

When I'm ready to invest in a new table then I will get a router lift (probably the Woodpecker) AND the appropriate PC router

John

Gower,

I have the Jessem Mast R Lift with the PC 7518, i bought it about 2 years ago when they just came out. It is a super piece of kit and the ability to change cutters from above the table is great. The fine adjustment is great when using stile and rail cutters. Its worth marking your table with raise and lower arrows as i used to keep forgeting what way to turn the handle
Axminsters version is made by jessem and you wont go wrong with whatever you go with.
I also have the router raizer in my small table which is also a great little kit. Both do the job they were designed for very well.

Ian

Gower

I have just come into a bit of cash and considered one of these (and a few other items) for the new table that I am just finishing.

However, after checking them out and the Triton router. it is the latter I went for (arrives tomorrow :lol: )

The Triton has all of the adjustability and accuray of the lift but IS the router. Buy only ONE item and save £££s :wink: You get a roughadjuster (turn handle) and a fine adjuster built in.

When one raises the Triton all the way up, the collet locks too and so you open it with one hand.

Triton won it for me.

Routalift, Woodpecker etc. All good. All will do the job accurately.
However, I am intrigued why whenever anyone mentions the Triton router the advice is generally ignored.
It is good advice to use one of these beasties. You can change the bits from above the table (well above, actually). You have a built-in height adjustment and dust cannot get in the works because the thing is designed to be used up side down.
It is worth another mention. It is a well thought out machine.
Rant over!
Cheers, people.

SF

SF

We posted the same advice together methinks :)

I will review when I get a chance

I'm on my 3rd or fourth R Table and always reckoned I'd eventually get a mechanical lifter, especially having tried the RoutaLift a few weeks back. That was until last week when I had the chance to play with a Triton. Always thought they were well odd looking tools and very, well, orange. Now I don't care what colour or shape it is, it is the business. Didn't try it freehand but if I get one (which might not be for a while) it's never be out of the table. It's such a no hassle tool, fantastically designed for table work. Tony, review by 2pm Saturday.......?

Noel

Tony":2ec2cp9t said:
Gower

However, after checking them out and the Triton router. it is the latter I went for (arrives tomorrow :lol: )

Tony, I note that the weight of the Triton is about 6kg, what sort of insert are you going to mount this on?

having reviewed some of the comments on this router, it does seem the business, looking forward to your review.

Noely":bfgh9bfh said:
Tony, review by 2pm Saturday.......?

Noel

Sorry Noel. Had it by 2pm saturday but it is still in the box as today was allocated to digging the veg garden along with the kids. It's been AGONY :cry: :cry:

Off to open it and play in a couple oif minutes :D

Waka

I am fitting it a NYW router table and using my own 6mm aluminium inset. Should be fine as the insert has held a 2050W router for over 6 months now

Latest posts

Back