Rounding up/down figures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
How many of you round the figures on quotes to the nearest £5, £10 etc or do you state the exact figure ie: £456.87

I'm assuming you're talking about pricing jobs here.

If your estimating it that good then you should quote to the nearest penny, if not, round up appropriately. It is not unusual for me to round up to the nearest £250 - and still end up undercharging. :oops:

As a customer, I'm not sure I would pay much attention to whether a job was quoted exactly in pounds and pence or a round number. Infact maybe I'd prefer it was rounded. But then from your point of view maybe not rounding up is subconsciously a way to make a price look cheaper. Like the way everything you buy in shops is 24.99, it's supposed to make it look more like 24 than 25. I never thought it fooled people, until I met HID. :roll:

I always round up to the nearest £5 under a £100 or £10 over a £100.

Ike

LyNx":duo1y1uu said:
How many of you round the figures on quotes to the nearest £5, £10 etc or do you state the exact figure ie: £456.87

Personally, if my calculations came out at £456.87, I'd take a look at how much I thought I could get away with and then pick a figure, such as £487.00, which didn't end in a 5, 9, or 0. This way it looks like it's been calculated, not rounded!

Brad

Perhaps this post is a bit non-sequiter but in New Zealand the smallest coins they have are 10 cent pieces but shops and garages still set prices down to the decimal part of a cent. So all shops/garages either round up or down to the nearest 10 cents. Seems a good idea to me as you need to have less coins in your purse and there must be cost savings for the taxpayer, funding money production, too.

Angela

Prices at £24.99 etc, are also intended so that if the item is bought with cash the assistant has to open the till to give change and therefore has to key in a price, therefore supposed to stop theft by assisants.

For last minute rush jobs at work,we use the same principle as Brad - think of a number,double it,add a bit on - then alter it to make it sound like it was calculated ..

Andrew

i was taught that when rounding over 50 pence you go up, below you go down.

when it comes to job pricing for a skill like woodworking, i would not bother with the accurate figures. these days in almost all cases, customers will try to haggle so as said elsewhere and before, think of a number then add to it. prices are too nebulous, your worth is what you can charge, and get away with, after material costs, so make a profit.
:twisted:
paul :wink:

Use it to your marketing advantage. Quote the detail figures exactly, add them all up exactly, then round down to the nearest five/tenner. 8)

Back