Rounding planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I am persuaded by applying your suggestions in practice.

By using a combination of axe, spokeshave and block plane to some cleaved sections of log, I find that I can make rounds that are acceptable to my eye. Not ‘factory’ perfect, but validly hand made. This is how I will make the front and back legs.

By way of experiment, I have done a deal to buy the Veritas dowel maker advertised for sale on here, and am interested to know how that will perform. I expect that a degree of hand tool finishing will be necessary which is fine. Am hoping to use that to make the seat rails and stretchers to save time.

So, thank you for the advice which is respected and appreciated. I haven’t made a chair since about 1970, so this will be interesting!

Regards,

Colin

colinc":1yp5dfpi said:
Ok, I am persuaded by applying your suggestions in practice.

By using a combination of axe, spokeshave and block plane to some cleaved sections of log, I find that I can make rounds that are acceptable to my eye. Not ‘factory’ perfect, but validly hand made. This is how I will make the front and back legs.

By way of experiment, I have done a deal to buy the Veritas dowel maker advertised for sale on here, and am interested to know how that will perform. I expect that a degree of hand tool finishing will be necessary which is fine. Am hoping to use that to make the seat rails and stretchers to save time.

So, thank you for the advice which is respected and appreciated. I haven’t made a chair since about 1970, so this will be interesting!

Regards,

Colin
Mind you I could be wrong!
Thing is, all craft work needs practice and will improve, it's easy to back off too soon.

Latest posts

Back