Rounding over a small cube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all... apologies but another daft question.

I’m trying to round over the edges on a small cube shape. It’s about 4” in every dimension.

It’s too Small to clamp as the clamps get in the way of my Bosch router.

I have a woodworking vice but haven’t installed it yet. Would that be the answer?

Thanks

Hmm.... I’m thinking now that a router table might be the answer......

Trying to round over a 4" cube on a router table is like sticking your head into a lions mouth, and then poking it with a sharp stick. There will be a LOT of blood.

sandpaper is a much safer option.

any small handplane will do it, much safer, installing the vice is a good idea.

Installing the vice is a no regret move - personally I would expect using the router to be just the opposite. Block or small hand plane and/or sandpaper is much safer and more likely to get a result you will be pleased with. Cheers

I don't think 4" makes this small. I would be perfectly happy to do something that size on a router table. Indeed, I've very nearly done this quite recently:

Tl5oFPy.jpg

That's 70mm square, and I rounded over the corners with a file before finishing the whole thing off with sandpaper.

But whats your experience levels compared to the original poster's experience?

Would you consider that an entry level router table project?
I use my router table whenever possible and consider myself pretty adept with it, but I would approach that with caution and certainly not recommend that to a beginner.

That's a fair point. However, the OP wasn't proposing to use a router table, (it doesn't sound like he has one), so I was only responding to those saying they would or wouldn't use one, not making a suggestion to the OP. In his position it's vice first, block plane or files, then sandpaper.

sunnybob":2hhtanaj said:
But whats your experience levels compared to the original poster's experience?

Would you consider that an entry level router table project?
I use my router table whenever possible and consider myself pretty adept with it, but I would approach that with caution and certainly not recommend that to a beginner.

Wouldn't it be safe if holding the cube with a grripper or a clamp? I wouldn't want to hold the cube itself, but based on my experience following rounding-over-curved-sides-t114722.html I would not have thought the forces would be a problem when using something else to hold it.

Primer":1kl4i7st said:
Hmm.... I’m thinking now that a router table might be the answer......
Spot on. That is a good size to cop hold of and run by a cutter but how big?
Best option is a bearing guided cutter with a straight fence, cut out to allow for cutter and bearing. The fence is a rough guide just set about 1mm back from the line of bearing.
Work in a positive manner and bear in mind this is a very simple task.
Cheers Andy

I'm gonna say it again, its a FAIRLY simple task for someone who has experience of router tables.
A person who does not have a router table, but is considering buying one specifically for this operation (post number 2 in this thread) is in a very risky situation.
Yes, with suitable clamps, its can be done.
Yes, with experience and care, making cuts in very fine increments, it can be done without clamps.
But with your fingers that close and no experience it doesnt take much imagination to see the wood catching on the end grain corner, throwing itself across the room (possibly at the operators face) and then dragging the fingers into the blade in automatic reaction.
I dont care if anyone thinks I'm scaremongering, I care about someone losing fingers through false confidence (and yes, i have worked with dangerous machines and yes I have known several people with less fingers than they were born with).

If you've got clamps and can't be pineappled installing the vice then you could clamp across the piece and then clamp the clamp to the bench with another clamp. Then router it

Latest posts

Back