rounded top raised panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
your guide about raised panel doors, Charley, could this method also be used to make rounded-top doors? (ie router with raising panel cutter in table).

how do other people make these doors (ie the ones with the rounded raised panel)

You use a jig to guide the router on the rails to produce the curve then cut the panel to size & use the lead in pin on a router table to raise the panel.
Raised panel bits should never be used hand held.
The cutting edge revolves at far more feet per minute than smaller bits.

i ment using the router in a table (I`ve produced flat top panels)

its ok to use a pin, ok I`ll try that

Don't try to take it in one cut. Take a little off then raise the router slightly til you get to the finished size.
Don't forget. You will be holding the panel in your hand with the bit exposed. So slowly & carefully.

One question I feel I must ask, do you absolutely have to have arched panels? Would it be possible to talk your customer out of it? Reason why I ask is, they're a lot more awkward to make, and perhaps a little passe style wise (at least in a kitchen context). Plus there's the problem of doing different door widths.
John

the customer is Mrs kityuser :)

I said I`ll try one, we`ll leave it at that! :D

Kittyuser....
Trend have a downloadable manual that comprehensivly covers the ins-and-outs of panel raising, including the curved panels....

check it out here:-

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/library ... eldoor.pdf

you'll need Acrobat to view it.... it's well worth printing off a copy and keeping it in the shop as a reference... loads of good info....

Back