Rounded over dovetail joint?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrongfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on making a guitar speaker cabinet. All the usual hardware, corner protectors etc. assumes that edges are rounded over at a 1/2" radius.

I'd planned on dovetailed joints and an oak carcass from some recycled panels just to look a bit classier than tolex covered ply, but I can't visualise how the dovetails will look after rounding over. Anyone done this? Does it look wrong? Am I better off with box/finger joints?

Anyone have any pictures?

Wrongfoot":18l99xvp said:
I'm planning on making a guitar speaker cabinet. All the usual hardware, corner protectors etc. assumes that edges are rounded over at a 1/2" radius.

I'd planned on dovetailed joints and an oak carcass from some recycled panels just to look a bit classier than tolex covered ply, but I can't visualise how the dovetails will look after rounding over. Anyone done this? Does it look wrong? Am I better off with box/finger joints?

Anyone have any pictures?

harlequin-side-table-t117675.html?hilit=Derek%20rounded

I haven't done it yet but I am a guitarist as well, been planning on doing the same thing, re-making solid wood cabinets for all my amps and then rounding the dovetails once they're together, it will work by using hand cut dovetails then a template for the final shape, you could use a power router or shape it by hand, the dovetails have to be very tight or gaps will show once you reveal what's inside the joints.

I was thinking a while back about making a youtube series, do you think it'd be popular?

Back