rounded blade edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am waiting for a new :)roll: it should be dated around 1902) bench plane: a jack plane #5 from a recent purchase. I have another jack plane with which I feel good, it is well balanced in my hands and it works well (for me).
I wish to set one of these two planes as plane for rough works (rounded edge and opened mouth). I am able to achieve a straight edge on any blade but I am not able to achieve one rounded (slightly).

Is it necessary a jig or one can realize it by free hands? :roll:
Any advice will be welcome :wink:

You can get a camber on a blade with jigs or freehand. I would suggest a camber of 1.5mm for your jack plane. I like to mark the back of the blade with a felt pen and then scribe a line where I want the camber to end. As you sharpen, apply pressure to a corner of the blade until that corner reaches the line you marked, then do the other corner. Once the corners are done, try to make the edge transition smoothly from the corners to the middle of the blade. It doesn't have to be a perfect radius.

Roger Nixon":gnqgqcqa said:
You can get a camber on a blade with jigs or freehand. I would suggest a camber of 1.5mm for your jack plane. I like to mark the back of the blade with a felt pen and then scribe a line where I want the camber to end. As you sharpen, apply pressure to a corner of the blade until that corner reaches the line you marked, then do the other corner. Once the corners are done, try to make the edge transition smoothly from the corners to the middle of the blade. It doesn't have to be a perfect radius.

OK Roger, and if by free hands I have a bevel which does not be straight because the blade rocks during sharpening ( in straight sharpening I push down the bevel on the stone which isn't possible with a cambered edge, I think), what does it occur?

Hold the bevel on the stone as you normally do but press harder on one corner then the other to make them wear away faster than the center of the blade.

Back